DIR-F in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt is correct regarding experience. For the Fundamentals course, they even loosen the equipment requirements...i.e., the only equipment that is required is a primary hose at least 5 feet long and that you have your back-up/octo secured just under your chin via a bungee necklace. COUNTERPOINT -- if you are pursuing deep and techier forms of diving, they will be more stringent in their review of your gear and skills.

You can use a jacket BC, but of course they will discuss the merits of a BP/wings with you. The main instructor for the class I took even offered to bring a BP/wings for me to borrow for the course, although I broke down and bought my own before the class.

One other comment -- if you are thinking of taking the class and/or converting to a BP/wings at some point, I would highly recommend buying the BP/wings and getting in at least a few dives with the new rig before the course. This helps by (1) Making you more familiar with the gear; and (2) Allowing the instructors to get your BP/wings/harness fitted correctly during the course (which is wasted if you are using borrowed gear).

I would love to take the class. Don't know my schedule, but will deffinately try to fit it in. Would be great to get some more training, and from what I have read from others experience in the DIRf class it should be really good.

I have to get a date and price in the early months next year!!
So I can get my work to pay for it :)
Im doing my regulator repair class now just finished my nitrox
and tank inspection courses!!

Rick L

Guys,

If you do take the class, it is worth it. A lot of good information is passed on and the minute details of the skills is worked on.

Eric

Ya, I've heard the course is great. Although I guess you have to be prepared for those guys to really rip into you and tell you how all your skills sux and your gear is all wrong. The word I've gotton is that GUE instrucotrs all have 'strong' peronalities. But, that's fine with me, I'll swallow my ego if I come out a better diver.

Plus, I figure, I'm divng with halycon gear with the DIR logo all over it , I might as well put it to it's intended use.

MASS-Diver,

I have heard also that they have strong personalities but I have also heard they don't do it in a way to put people down just to explain why they do it another way.

I hope you all enjoy it. I am looking forward to an opportunity to take it soon.

If you have a good sense of humor and can laugh at yourselves it is the most fun you can have in the water...period. I took it with 3 of my good buddies and we laughed ourselves sick at each other and ourselves.

I would take it again if they would let me audit it for half price...we had MHK, JJ, and Dave Sweetin as our instructors and those guys are funny beyond words. I would rather take DIRF again than go on a dive trip...seriously.

I'd be psyched if MHK was one of the instructors. I need to meet that guy and shake his hand.

Am I a bad man if I purposely have not developed any of my dive skills because I've been waiting for DIRF to come around? Anyone wanna be my buddy on my next dive? :wink:

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom