DIR-F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
I make one mistake and you jump all over me.
Just to set the record straight, I need another SECOND stage. Would like another APEX but another brand will work.

I need a second second. :)
Heh.. I thought maybe you were going to be using H-valves or doubles.. :)

Matt

Corigan:
Heh.. I thought maybe you were going to be using H-valves or doubles.. :)

Matt
Yeah and breathing right off that first stage....or perhaps he was going to show us how to buddy breathe and swap his second stage between first stages underwater.......

(Dang, this is fun......)

I could do it... ya know
Want me to show you how next time we dive?

Randy43068:
I could do it... ya know
Want me to show you how next time we dive?
YES, that would be a real education!!!!!!

Rick Inman:
Yes, Mark, but that you know that you know what you really don't know, is good to know. Ya' know?

But actually, I have a real question for Dir-f-ers.

After reading mikkilj's report, it appears that you can pass the DIRF class without being able to do a backwards froggy. Yes???

You can, but it's difficult. I think if you can "stop" yourself by doing a back-kick you are going to have a much easier time of it. If you can hover basically motionless in the water then the skills are *way* easier.

Hank49:
I practice this backward kick just because I was shown it once and thought it was fun to try. But I've yet to be in a situation where I actually needed to use it. For my diving so far, it's just kind of a cute trick, like walking on your hands. Takes some practice but what use is it?

it has a lot of valuable uses (I use it on every dive)
1) backing up to see something you missed without swimming in a huge circle or flapping arms
2) keeping the buddy/team together on ascent/descent
3) keeping together in an OOA situation
4) keeping near your buddy when shooting an SMB
5) backing up from something to take a photo/video etc.
6) impressing the chicks :)

Randy43068:
I'll email the one of the GUE guys and ask him about it. I believe they prefer for the students to have at least a minimal amount of "proper" gear. ??

Yes and no. I didn't mean to imply that I shouldn't be learning skills at the moment or that one needs special equipment to do so. Not at all. I must not have been very clear in with my comments.

the gear requirements are on www.gue.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom