DIR Friendly Florida Keys Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silent World on Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, Also, I believe Horizon Divers also caters to DIR Divers. But I'd go with Silent World for sure.

Two of the three charters selected to be ITK operators this year. Coincidence?? I doubt it...... :wink:

Most DIR divers are not diving drysuits with thermal protection integrated in the suit (ie, a neoprene suit). Shell suits are the most popular. The thermal protection is a result of the undergarments used. I've dove my drysuit in the summer with only Under Armor on and been more than comfortable.

As well, most people will strip the drysuit off for the surface interval.

Does compressed neoprene not qualify for DIR? (i.e. Typhoon TCS)

Just wondering.

Does compressed neoprene not qualify for DIR? (i.e. Typhoon TCS)

Just wondering.

Probably made too general of a statement. The DIR gear configuration does not dictate anything about what type of exposure protection or type of wetsuit/drysuit one should use. Most DIR divers will tell you they dive a shell type suit.

Compressed neoprene will offer some exposure protection, but still not a lot. Suits like the Bare Tech HD are made from a highly compressed neoprene for the ruggedness of the suit, not the ability of the material to insulate the diver.

The Bare HD Tech dry suit is a trilam. It is not made of neoprene. I have a few dry suits. My main suit is a crushed neo (Bare XCD2). Nothing "un-DIR" about it.

Probably made too general of a statement. The DIR gear configuration does not dictate anything about what type of exposure protection or type of wetsuit/drysuit one should use. Most DIR divers will tell you they dive a shell type suit.

Compressed neoprene will offer some exposure protection, but still not a lot. Suits like the Bare Tech HD are made from a highly compressed neoprene for the ruggedness of the suit, not the ability of the material to insulate the diver.

The Bare HD Tech dry suit is a trilam. It is not made of neoprene. I have a few dry suits. My main suit is a crushed neo (Bare XCD2). Nothing "un-DIR" about it.

Yep - I meant the XCD2. My point was that generally speaking the trilams are more popular. Nothing un-DIR about any suit, so long as it's properties are considered in your overall kit.

I believe it is often recommended to use a trilam or such suit, based on the fact that they are lighter, dry faster, and allow the use of a wide range of undergarments to adapt to a variety of conditions. None of this is relevant to the diver who doesn't travel, really. If you're running a project, light weight and fast drying is important, but if you're just diving at home in Puget Sound, extra insulation from the suit may outweigh those considerations.

Although it is not, as far as I know, something that GUE articulates, I liked Joe Talavera's approach to this kind of issue: If it impacts the team, there should be some kind of agreement on it. If it doesn't, you are free to do as you like. Drysuit materials fall into the latter category most of the time, in my opinion (and Joe's).

I just taught a UTD Essentials class down in Key Largo last weekend, a nice getaway from the snow and ice of Michigan.
In planning for the location, I was referred to Conch Republic Divers by a friend who has a place down there. I must say that they went out of their way to meet all of my needs, had a wonderful staff and crew, and were very accommodating and a pleasure to deal with.

I'm down here right now in Key Largo taking a tech class with Bob Sherwood at the time of this post. We've done 1 day of fun dives before the class and 3 days so far into the class diving off Chris's boats at Silent World. The staff is nothing short of spectacular and has a store fully stocked with last minute Tech items to make the day go smoother.

The water temps have been around 72* and I've been diving a CLX450 and my buddy a TLS350 with just a 100 gram stretch liner for 2 hours + at a time and have been fine.....The weather right now is perfect drysuit weather......

Give Silent World a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed:)

I'm down here right now in Key Largo taking a tech class with Bob Sherwood at the time of this post. We've done 1 day of fun dives before the class and 3 days so far into the class diving off Chris's boats at Silent World. The staff is nothing short of spectacular and has a store fully stocked with last minute Tech items to make the day go smoother.

The water temps have been around 72* and I've been diving a CLX450 and my buddy a TLS350 with just a 100 gram stretch liner for 2 hours + at a time and have been fine.....The weather right now is perfect drysuit weather......

Give Silent World a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed:)

Yes PERFECT drysuit weather. The 13' waves that were crashing OVER the boat made for an awesome ride and I was very happy I put my suit on in the safety of the channel near the dock. :D The crew of silent world has been awesome. Today we were hot dropped and shot bags on our ascent. Surfacing in 10-13' waves and not able to see the boat would normally make me pretty nervous. The crew has been very quick to scoop us up.:D:D

Up until today the weather was cooperating with seas around 2'-4'. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit less "sporty" as they like to call it. If not it's still great fun.

Listen, if you two have enough time and energy to be checking the boards, Bob clearly isn't doing his job well enough. :wink:

Have fun, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom