DIR... what is it, or who are they???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Dang... I started this thread shortly after I joined. I can't believe that I actually thought that diving without a buddy was a "good idea"... and promoted it too! Too funny for words.

Actually diving without a buddy is a very good idea for PSD and commercial diving. Of course in the place of a buddy you would then have both a tender and a diver supervisor on the surface. Done right, diving with a tender is safer than diving with a buddy. Unfortunately, most sport divers want to dive SCUBA and don't want a teather so the tender option is out. :D

Well, I appreciated the stroll down memory lane ... particularly the post (#9) by my friend Terkel (Wet Dane). That was posted about a month after I got certified ... and about two months before somebody passed him the kool-aid.

Well, they finally pried that heavy, lead-acid canister with the clunky 75W halogen bulb from his cold, wet Danish fingers. He makes and sells his own lights now ... I own one and it's a fine piece of gear.

I first heard about, and learned about DIR from Terkel. Oddly, he rarely mentioned gear at all. It was more the mindset ... buddy awareness, finning without kicking up silt, managing the gas, using light signals, that sort of thing. Sure, we talked about most of that stuff in OW class ... but the DIR folks can actually show you how to do it.

I've since been thru a succession of DIR-trained dive buddies ... several of whom are active on this board. One thing I've noticed ... the good ones don't possess the "attitude" people seem to get so hung up on. They just want to dive ... and if you're willing to learn, they're more than happy to show you things. Yeah, there's vocal ones out there ... but they're really just people who need to be part of a "club" ... and if you're not DIR you're better off letting them do their own thing and ignoring their comments.

I'm not DIR. Oh, my kit is mostly (but not entirely) similar to theirs. My diving habits have evolved to the point where we're mostly compatible ... although the DIR "purists" would still find plenty to fault. But I'm just enough of a "rebel" to want to do a few things my way. For that reason, I'll probably never be DIR. But I have to say I'm glad it's something I got exposed to. People like Terkel, Uncle Pug, Kalvyn, Snowbear, David Evans, and others have all taught me things that have made me a better diver ... things I'd have probably picked up eventually, but diving with them put me ahead of the curve. And they did it not by shoving some philosophy down my throat, but just by diving and setting the example. I didn't learn this stuff because it was DIR ... I learned it because I thought it was cool, and wanted to have those skills myself.

People get too hung up on the attitude ... or on the inference of what DIR stands for. Who cares ... I think that stuff gets generated more on the Internet than it does in real life. In real life, most of the DIR folks I've met are pretty genuine people who just want to dive and have fun ... kinda like me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Are you still diving the BWOD? (bungied wing of death) :D

Uncle Pug:
It doesn't take much of a diver to wallow around on the bottom while tied to a rope. :D

Yes, and anyone can dive in 75ft plus visiblity.It doesn't take much to do that either. The point i was trying to make is most people dont like idea of WALLOWING around on the bottom in 0 visibilty looking for a Deceased individual,

Naw Michael...

I plumb wore them out and have passed them down to a student in need of them. He has my spreader plate as well, and loves the IQ setup with them. I dive a FredT backplate and 55 lb non-bungeed wing, or my Chute II BC.

NetDoc:
Hey ALl,

I am just a lowly PADI Dive Master, who has never encountered the term "DIR". I have read that some refer to it as a religion, and some hold it in contempt. What do the letters stand for, and how do I go about researching this group?

Pete from Orlando...

http://www.scubaboard.com/t49484.html

The DIR complaint (and the replies), which we've all heard dozens of times before, has been moved to the sticky "Hellspawn" note in general tek discussions.

Feel free to contine the debate there...

Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom