DIR3 video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcanty once bubbled...
Your impressions were probably right.

Please realize that George is not a teacher ( which
he states often ) The video is not the best
teaching video which is probably why GUE doesn't
make it part of their training materials.

Again George is Project director of the WKPP and
as such leads the worlds best cave diving team.
He has strong opinions and lets everyone know them.

GUE is a training organization and knows how
to teach and instruct. Their materials are
excellant as are their instructors.

Sometimes ( often ) being the best at something
does not mean being able to teach it well. Teaching
and educating is a skill by itself that many experts
do not possess.

Also the DIR I, II, and III tapes are not really
sequential in nature.

I kinda feel like I shouldn't post any more urls except in
private for now on so they won't be taken out
of context except I was just trying to post a better
one in this case.

BTW for the record, yes the general rule is right hand
release. And if you hang out on more and more scuba
trips you'll find a lot of pretenders that say they
were Navy Seals but never came within 1000 miles
of San Diego. That probably was where the comment
came from.

Kell

P.S. the above is entirely my own, unqualified, opinion.

Cool... Perfectly understandable... I understand he's not a teacher (that was evident) Nevertheless I enjoyed the video... and I'd like to see more links/videos I'm very interested in DIR (though I'm not sure I'll ever accept/adopt any/many of the teaching) I just was curious about thoose few details... and yeah I understand the SEAL comment IF thats what they meant, which I'm sure it probably is... there are DEFFINATELY a LOT of posers out there... people want to be liked/loved/respected WHATEVER.

And yeah its like I said no matter how well you know something (even if your considered the best) being on camera is a TOTALLY different deal as well as teaching... I figured most likely he eight messed up and DIR way is left hand release and he messed up forgetting the rest of SCUBA is right hand... or messed up by saying left hand release meaning right hand. Nothing against him or DIR for the mistake... I just wanted to check on it. (part of learning is confirming information that seems odd or that your not sure you understood correctly)...

Like I said I'd like to see more DIR info in videos or what not... so if you choose to only PM links please add me to the PM list... I really am interested in the DIR phillosiphy (if thats a correct term) wether I adapt it or not... knowledge wether used or not is good. Even if I don't adapt it but understand it and all I can help others who want to go by it... or as an instructor (which I at this point hope to be someday) will know what someone maybe trying to do and can aid or help them.

Anyways... I didn't mean to offend or anything if I did... I'm very curious about all this and want to understand and learn it... I may end up even ordering the DIR book for a reference on DIR and it's practices.

Also pardon my ignorance once again but is George the founder (or founding member) of the DIR principals? or just a firm beliver/advocate?

watched/listened to it yesterday while doing some online dive gear shopping (watch for my new thread on 'more reasons why I hate the LDS')...

Especially enjoyed watching George forget his crotch strap once or twice...I can now feel less inept when I do that maneuver....doh.

kcanty
Thanks for taking the time to post the alternative link, was able to download it much quicker this morning. Haven't had a chance to view it yet.

UP thanks for the heads up on the video.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

kcanty,

Thank for the link, great video!

I just hope all the DIR videos become available on VHS again so more people can see them.

but I just posted a faster way to the same info.

It's cool seeing the thank you's though, after the
first message I got this sinking feeling that the
mistakes and lack of 'smoothness' in the video
would generate another 'cult' type thread that
I dislike and refuse to participate in. I was
probably overreacting.

It's an interesting video but it looks like it
is; a couple of guys with no teaching or public
speaking experience trying to get a message
accross and doing it so-so. It may or may not
work for someone new to the concepts.
In fact it's probably not a good video for a
new person; people expect polished teaching
materials.

If ya'll fly it's kind of like my grudging respect
for the Kings and their materials. They know
how to teach no matter how corny they are.

Anyway hope the info helped and thanks again!

Kell

I've added this film to my KaZaA files so do a search under DIR or scuba diving under videos and you should find it. I wish more divers would post videos. There's not much on there.

I recognize several names on this thread as those who have taken a DIR Fundatmentals class. I'm reasonably certain most of them would back me up on this:

Take a Fundamentals class and find out for yourself first hand what the DIR system is really all about! I felt it was $300 very well spent. I love my new gear compared with my previous gear. I wish I had known about this a long time ago and am VERY glad I know it this early (6 years/250 dives) into my diving career.

I am very lucky to now have several like-minded divers to dive with and practice what I've learned to continually strengthen many aspects of safer and therefore more enjoyable dives. Their mentoring smoothed the way into the Fundamentals class. I was able to practice basic bouyancy and trim skills, s-drills, ooa drills, etc. But, the class lectures and training dives go SO much further than any available video or book - even those from GUE do not come close to the true experience gained from the actual class. We learned not only from the instructors, but also from each other.

If you're not able or willing to take a class, see if there's one nearby that you can audit so you can see how they are taught. The instructors are excellent at reading just how aggressive they can be with various students. No one will leave unchallenged, and rarely, if ever, will anyone leave a class early because of abusive tactics and arrogance from the instructors.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
I've added this film to my KaZaA files so do a search under DIR or scuba diving under videos and you should find it.

Hmm... perhaps I'll fiddle around and move the videos I have into the directories accessed by Kazaa....

the rate at which they are breathing when they are scootering along? I tried to match their breathing rate when I was watching it, but found it was rather difficult (maybe it was because at just ate a bunch of pizza). But even with just eating I should have done a better job than that just sitting at my computer. Are they skip breathing or are they in such great shape they can really control their breathing without even thinking about it?

Back
Top Bottom