Direct to Cozumel story = bag drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't get the people who say the bus ferry is so terrible? There is nothing wrong with the ADO bus to ferry ride. The bus's are new, modern, safe vehicles that get you to PDC in comfort and I kind of like the ferry ride. If I can save $100-$200 USD I'm going Non-Stop to CUN for the bus ferry ride!
I don't think anyone said the bus and ferry option is terrible. For me it's a cost/benefit/convenience balance, which only very rarely (once in 25 years) comes out in favor of flying into Cancun. A $200 total difference in air fare for the two of us won't do it; it will cost me nearly that much to get us from Cancun to Cozumel and back, and then there's the logistics of the return trip - having to leave the hotel 3-4 hours before the flight and find transportation from Playa to Cancun. YMMV, of course.

Of course, the airports in Houston and Austin are very rarely snowed in. :D

When we lived in Connecticut we flew from BDL many times. We prefer to fly right into Cozumel. Delta, American USair and a few others all have flights with connections. I have never seen a direct flight to either Cozumel or Cancun from BDL. If you are looking for that you will have to go to the NYC major area airports. Most fly direct to CUN from NYC. Continental may have a seasonal direct flight to Cozumel from Newark on Saturdays. Do not know just where in Connecticut you live but the airport in Westchester(HPN) has some great fares compared to BDL at times.
You cannot control the weather. It sometimes affects your flights. Go and enjoy your vacation in Cozumel.

I'm 5 miles north of Bradley in Suffield. I've found flights on AA from BDL to Dallas or Houston, then onto Coz for about $400PP/RT

That's a pretty good price. Hard to do much better than that.

Nice to be so close! We lived closer to New Haven. Under $400 is a great price to Cozumel.

I'm 5 miles north of Bradley in Suffield. I've found flights on AA from BDL to Dallas or Houston, then onto Coz for about $400PP/RT
He'd mentioned January so I searched the middle of the month, looking at lowest prices possible first. Fares change so fast you'd think they were spinning a wheel, but for now....

BDL to CZM with a change in DFW can be as low as $377 ScreenHunter_08 Mar. 08 20.11.jpg

BDL to CUN with a change in DFW is not that much cheaper at $309 ScreenHunter_09 Mar. 08 20.12.jpg
I wouldn't do it. *

BDL to CUN non-stop is 41% more at $435 ScreenHunter_10 Mar. 08 20.13.jpg
A luxury not worth the extra money to me, but then I am accustomed to changing planes to get to anywhere beyond Dallas, Houston, or maybe Albuquerque. But then winter travel is iffy, even in Dallas. I have never let that deter me in the least, and have made the best of getting grounded at times, but if I am headed to Coz - I want to be in Coz as soon as possible. Nonetheless, I'd still book the $377 into CZM with the change in DFW, then look over the weather in DFW closely 24 hours in advance - getting on the phone asking the airline if they could accommodate me with a free change to the non-stop if DFW was going to get hit. Worth a try. Continental once accommodated me with a no-charge change to a CUN plane being flown in just to evacuate passengers leaving before H.Dean could hit, while others in my group who didn't listen to me paid huge sums of extra money to book escapes online. Hehe, half of them had previously ignored me when I had discussed the value of cheap Trip Insurance. There was much whining on that group forum afterward of course, and I reminded them how much money they saved in not buying the insurance I'd suggested as well as that I tried to tell them how I'd booked my escape for free - and guess what. Ignored again - imagine that. :rofl3: Doesn't bother me to be ignored but I usually try to help.

I have a lot of ideas, a few of which are good - varies a lot. So anyway. Just sharing ideas, stories, experiences...

* Now, if I were planning a week long trip, I might go for arrival in CZM, with an Open-Jaw return from CUN if I wanted to spend a couple of nights on the mainland anyway - touring ruins and cenotes. There are nice hotels at low prices at Coba, then a night along the coast somewhere, then drop the car in CUN after insuring you have good maps! I did that once with Holbox but never could find the car place; finally called them and told them to come get it! They were nice about that tho.

You know....

If you are willing to plan your trip around flights, USA3000 flies direct ORD-CZM. I think the flight only runs once a week though.

They just don't appear to show up on the radar of the booking sites. While I haven't used them for Cozumel, we flew to the Dominican Republic with them and had no complaints. Lots of Apple Vacations travelers on the flight.

Who knows, with enough Chicago scubaboarders, maybe they would expand their flight schedule....

USA3000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom