Dirty Tricks by Expedia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's odd - I actually booked The Luna Blue through Expedia back in May with no problems. I loved the place and would not hesitate to stay there again!

In the construction industry we face the same thing, it's called Service Magic and it's as ugly a story as these guys tell of Expedia. These internet lead companies all promise the same thing - a too good to be true endless supply of customers with no effort on the small businesses part, coupled with smoke and mirrors covering up a too high fee structure that can't be profitable. I can't believe that a small hotel can give up 25% of their gross sale and remain profitable.

They should be able to take that 25% and devote it to a dedicated marketing budget and spin circles around these guys.

Looks like they have dropped Expedia, or Expedia dropped them. Can't find the hotel on their site, using a test date of March 2-9. Orbitz and Hotel.com don't show them either.

Kayak offers Luna Blue those dates thru Booking.com @ $80/night or $89/night including 11% tax (not including 3% tax?), but when you try to book, it goes to $122 for a Deluxe room.

I do like shopping the net for hotels, but it has drawbacks. I got stung last October by a hotel rated 3 stars - what a dump!

I just sent them a nasty email because I booked and my trip jumped down 300.00 pp a few days later... I got the old "sorry, *** out of luck" I tried to change my hotel which all inclusive was only 50.00 more, same flight, date etc and they told me it would be 900.00 more to change it... I guess its the vendors pricing but still a piss off...

Reading their web page makes me wish I liked staying in Playa, because I would book with them.

I usually book using expedia, but I was always thinking that the commision was a lot lower, somewhere in the 10 percent range, so I figured it worked out for everyone. But after doing a google search about Expedia, I think I will start booking direct with the hotel for now on. 25% is crazy, when you have your hands in the pockets of nearly every hotel in the somewhat modern world.

I used a travel website my first time to cozumel. When i had a problem with my flight i called them and they said call the airline. What did i use them for, Now i use the travel sites to compare prices and thats it. I book straight with my hotel and am able to do a dive package and have not found a better deal on any travel sites. I also just book drectly with the airline for the same reason . I just don't feel that i need to pay someone to book my vacation when i can do it myself. All the research you need is at your fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom