Disabled Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

who received his OW certification this past summer. I was his buddy for the 4 certification dives, there were 3 other non-disabled students in the class. I've since been on two multi-tank trips with him to the Channel Islands. I'd very much like to continue diving with him, but I have several concerns:

1) The OW training he (and the rest of the class) received was beyond substandard. The litany of posts regarding poor training quality was clearly evidenced here: Max depth for the 4 dives was 19' in warm, calm lake water. Our nearest major dive destination is Monterey. There is no way any of the students were prepared for even the calmest day at Monterey. He was sold the usual arrangement of expensive Ebay-bait equipment (I wasn't with him at the time, but did manage to get an exchange on the failure prone hoseless computer gizmo).

Thanks to poor training, I have a buddy cannot help me, but requires much attention on my part to compensate for things he didn't learn in class.

2) Attitude. My friend has had to overcome a great deal of adversity in his life, and continues to do so on a daily basis. I learned a great deal travelling with someone in a wheelchair for 2 days - ADA is only beginning to scratch the surface of what's needed. However, the same grit and determination needed to survive a nearly fatal accident and overcome a disability is useful in Scuba to a point, then it becomes a liability. I say that because there were times when he would push a dive even when all of the little factors (weighting, current, fatigue) were starting to add up to "abort." I'm currently seeking some additional training so that he and I continue to dive in safely within mutually understood parameters.

3) Disability. I feel somewhat guilty for not inviting my friend along for some dive trips, but then I realized that his disability is really not the primary factor limiting our diving together - it is training and attitude. The disability limits mobility, which is a contraindication for currents, long surface swims, etc., but not for diving itself. I wouldn't hesitate to repeat the trips we have taken, provided that we could upgrade his training. I also need to have an able-bodied diver along who can provide full buddy services to me.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this: Do you think it is safe for an able-bodied diver to buddy with a disabled diver if the disabled diver is somewhat dependent on the able-bodied diver for mobility? What if the able-bodied diver needs assistance?

By the way, we did have a terrific dive when another of my buddies joined us. Three divers seems to be key here.

Hi Hal:

Did your buddy take his classes one-on-one?

It really sounds like he was not well trained and pushed through a quick class.

I think it's important that all scuba diving students get properly trained.

I've done all my classes (pool sessions) one-on-one, except for my sixth session when my friend Tim was invited to join in since we intend to be dive buddies.

Mobility is an issue for me. I do have the use of my arms and legs but have limited arm and leg strength. This means my mobility while submerged is pretty good, but not great. So I've spent three hours learning to use DPVs.

I think it might be a good idea for you and your buddy to try to arrange some pool time to learn to work together, and though I'll likely get flamed for this, maybe your buddy should learn to use a DPV.

Many divers will tell you a DPV isn't safe for a new diver to use, and can cause bad habits when it comes to buoyancy. So the training has to be very good. This is a bad analogy but here goes. I've been using powerchairs for 25 years (tomorrow). My current powerchair weighs in at at least 260 pounds, I weigh 167 pounds. My powerchair is capable of traveling at 8.5 mph. This makes me a 427 pound missile when traveling at top speed. Not as dangerous by a long shot as miss-using a DPV but you can image the grief I could cause if I weren't always very careful. I'm used to using potentially dangerous equipment in a safe manner and chances are that so is your friend.

Also, if you're concerned about your friend's life saving abilities, and you have every right to be, then maybe you should find a third buddy. My experience in training and discussing diving with my instructor have been that it isn't unusual for a disabled diver to dive with two buddies depending on the level of disability.

And in fact, many disabled divers are not able to qualify for OW certification but may in fact be able to qualify for another level such as one of the Discover Scuba programs.

Regarding qualification for the class - I think after 24 or so dives, my buddy is starting to become qualified. The instructor would have passed anybody who stuck around for the weekend. My buddy was certified literally walking on his hands underwater. He and I resolved the buoyancy problems in the pool and ocean post-certification.

Not to start another training thread, but I could tell the other new divers in the class were totally bewildered about what to do next (after certification).

Eventually, I think a suitable DPV may be worth looking into, provided that buoyancy and trim issues can be worked out. I'm still pondering the rescue issue (for me), but I think a third diver is probably the answer. Hey, BoomX, wanna go diving???

Doty, glad to see you are getting into scuba. My buddy just showed me the u/w video from his Handicapped Scuba Assn trip to Cayman Brac. The video was shot by a disabled diver as well. Pretty cool stuff. I'm planning to go to Bonaire with him on an HSA trip in June.

boomx5 once bubbled...

Just let me know when you want to go.

Maybe a Friendly Friday on the Cypress Sea after DIR-F. Mark's set up for cold water, and has already gone to Catalina and Anacapa, which to me are downright tropical compared to Monterey. Who knows, it might seem warm after BC in Feb.:wink:

p.s. this is my first post using the quote feature, so pardon the mess. I think it may also be no. 50. Do I get an avatar for Christmas?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom