Disc removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It shouldnt be stuck, use a small pick around the edges and try and gently pry it out?

Try and replace it with the single unit burst disc and nut in one to save this happening again, or if you cant be sure to replace the nut,the washer and the disc.

Blow it out through the dip tube. It might not come all the way out but should lift enough on one side to allow you to snag it with a pick or tweezers.

Since you are replacing the disc anyway, you can just puncture it with a pick and it will come out. Just be careful to puncture it in the center so you don't harm the valve.

You can't reinstall a used disc without risking premature blow out.

There are two sizes (in use now a day) of burst discs. The larger one (I can't remember the exact size) comes as a complete unit.

The smaller one is 3/8 and it comes as three parts: the disc, the sealing washer, and the plug/ screw (cutter). You need to replace all three parts as a set. The screw is also the disc cutter so they have to be replaced together or it may not release at the design pressure.

Both types of plug are 3/8-24 but the wrench sizes are different. Personally, I would blow the old disc out with compressed air. If it gets lost, so what? Mainly, I don't trust myself with picks and brass components. Anyway, the gasket is installed before the disk. Irrespective of size of the plug don't use too much torque on the wrench. Those are fine threads and soft metal. Book says 60 lb-inches.

Luis beat me to it. I use an ice pick to puncture the center and pull it out.

Back
Top Bottom