Discover scuba suggestions! Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost Diver #

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all! I have some family visiting cozumel in August, the two boys want to dive, 13 and 14. They would like to become certified eventually but won’t have time before the trip. I’m not a huge fan of the insta classes but does anyone have any experience with the discover scuba programs in that area? Recommendations and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

3 people where on the same boat as me doing a discover dive a couple days ago and the class looked pretty complete. I think they charge $190

They spent some time in the shallows by the dock and then went on a boat dive.

3 students and 1 instructor at Cozumel Palace with Aqua safari. I was doing the afternoon dive at the same time. The discover students loved it.

Hi, I did a Discovery Dive 4 years ago as my wife signed me up. It was in Curacao though. A few weeks ago I did my AOW in Bonaire. Personally I believe the Discovery Dive is a waste of time. It gives you a 20 minute experience in the pool and another 20 minutes in a lake or ocean. You really don't learn how to dive. I'd recommend to skip the Discovery program and go right into the O/W course. My 2 cents. Enjoy the underwater journey with your sons.

Hi, I did a Discovery Dive 4 years ago as my wife signed me up. It was in Curacao though. A few weeks ago I did my AOW in Bonaire. Personally I believe the Discovery Dive is a waste of time. It gives you a 20 minute experience in the pool and another 20 minutes in a lake or ocean. You really don't learn how to dive. I'd recommend to skip the Discovery program and go right into the O/W course. My 2 cents. Enjoy the underwater journey with your sons.

Hi,
sorry, I have a slightly different opinion.
If you have decided already to go for the OWD course, and you have no troubles in the water, that's true, the DSD does not teach you much.
However, many people have no idea whether they would like to breath underwater and they would be comfortable with it. In this case, before spending $$ on the OWD course they can give it a try in a pool/confined water session.
It's not unusual to fully discount the DSD price for the students who wish to continue with OWD course. In this way they just get one more dive for free.

Hi,
sorry, I have a slightly different opinion.
If you have decided already to go for the OWD course, and you have no troubles in the water, that's true, the DSD does not teach you much.
However, many people have no idea whether they would like to breath underwater and they would be comfortable with it. In this case, before spending $$ on the OWD course they can give it a try in a pool/confined water session.
It's not unusual to fully discount the DSD price for the students who wish to continue with OWD course. In this way they just get one more dive for free.
I agree with the first part for sure, going straight for OW if you're sure you want to dive.
I do agree with considering DSD if you're not sure about breathing underwater, or other scuba aspects. My thought is if your not sure about such things it may be even better to get some more "water" experience. Particularly snorkeling (your face is in water and you are breathing, plus you can dive down to the bottom). After which you may want to skip DSD.

I have only ever stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel so I can't speak to other operations, but that might be a great place to get started with a DSD. They have a fairly easy entry to shore diving right on their waterfront, with only a mild current and lots of very enjoyable "muck" diving in about 15-25 feet of water. If interested in following up, you would have to ask them about more logistics. I definitely saw some instruction going on, but not sure of all the details. I'm not sure their own pool is deep enough get the confined water portion done, but I could be wrong there. I also don't know if it was the SCC staff training off the shore, or if they were allowing other local instructors to use their facilities, or a bit of both.

My youngest daughter did a DSD in Tulum 2.5 years ago. She had never shown much if an interest in diving but decided to try it to see what it was all about. Dive 1 was a 67 minute dive at Casa Cenote followed by a 50 minute dive across the street in the ocean. She loved it and because of that experience, she decided to get certified. I cannot say enough about Protec Tulum. They were thorough and covered a lot of skills. Casa Cenote was 20 feet or less and the ocean was 30 feet.

If available, I would suggest Jose Pool in Cozumel but he is a friend of mine:) He may be independent and I am not sure how to get in touch with him other than Facebook. He has two children about the ages of your family members so he could relate to them.

Thanks Everyone! I will check out all the suggestions, right now they aren’t looking to become OW divers, they just want to “try it”...I’m working on it but don’t want to push!

Thanks again!

Hi all! I have some family visiting cozumel in August, the two boys want to dive, 13 and 14. They would like to become certified eventually but won’t have time before the trip. I’m not a huge fan of the insta classes but does anyone have any experience with the discover scuba programs in that area? Recommendations and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JW Marriott in Cancun has an special pool with artificial reef for divers. It is pretty amazing. They use it for refresh courses and insta classes. It will be perfect for your kids. You do not need to stay at JW Marriott to use the pool. Just go to front desk and ask for the instructor. I will post some pictures when I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom