• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dish detergent and wetsuits?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by unclepickle1, Jun 6, 2010.

1. GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Dish detergent is formulated to remove food and grease. That is not my problem :D, I use pine-sol type cleaner and disinfectant, it is targeted to clean up pee and associated bacteria.

2. Mike Boswell

Mike Boswell Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    We use a squirt of Dawn in the wash tub, then fill with water, slosh the gear and hang to dry. If the wetsuits wear out, great: That just gives us a good excuse to buy new ones.:D

3. knowone

knowone Regular of the Pub

Best be early. There may be a queue.
    Half a bottle of woolwash in hot water you can still put your hand in. Soak until you remember it's there or need a bath.

4. Surface Interval

Surface Interval Dive Equipment Manufacturer

I'm the awesome wash person in our crew.

I will never tell that from now on I am using Woolite + our brand new washing machine.

I love you all for this thread.

-tina-

5. Belmont

Belmont DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Take good note of all the recommendations here, we will need them when the time comes to remove BP oil from our diving gear.:shakehead:

6. knowone

knowone Regular of the Pub

GMA reporter today suggested applying petroleum jelly to protect your skin when swimming in Florida.

7. Teamcasa

Teamcasa Sr. Moderator ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Ditto on the Woolite. My wetsuits all look and smell like new.

I just toss them into a tub when I get home and let them sit for an hour, gently agitate once and a while, remove and rinse - dry them INSIDE out first.

8. k ellis

k ellis Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    As you see most everyone here has good suggestions but if your really concerned about environmental impact and want to be 100 percent sure your safe you can always get specially formulated wet suits cleansing products like one called "Sink the stink" Just my 2 cents

9. Scuba.com

Scuba.com Dive Shop

Any normal dish soap will work perfectly. I like to use the scented type and find the anti-bacterial type tends to work best in the long run.

Neoprene is foam rubber, basically, and the amount of soap you'd have to use to get enough concentration that MIGHT be harmful is far more than you'll ever use.

If you are still concerned, the Simple Green advice also works perfectly and has a pleasant scent as well.

10. Randy43068

Randy43068 Orca

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Make sure you rinse it well. Detergent will in fact break down the rubber. If you have a doubt, take an "O" ring, wash it in detergent without rinsing and see what happens over time.

The degradation won't happen immediately, but it will. So, if you are using an aggressive detergent (dawn) make sure you rinse it well. Make especially sure you to rinse anything latex that comes in contact with detergent also.