Dish detergent and wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. I've never used anything but tap water and sunshine to wash my suits and I've never had problems with them smelling bad. A good thorough rinse in the shower when I get home and then line dry them.

GMA reporter today suggested applying petroleum jelly to protect your skin when swimming in Florida.

So use a petroleum based product to protect your skin from petroleum? Am I missing something?

It's good to know that standard non-specialized products work just fine for this. I was seeing the "wet suit shampoos" advertised and wondered just how necessary they were.

Thanks for the great info!

And one last thing to add here that's more pointed towards those among us who have their first wetstuit. I noticed somebody mention a bit of woolite (I've never tried woolite, but hear it works well) in a washing machine. Washing machines aren't really necessary but do work well! What I want to add is NEVER EVER throw your wetsuit into the DRYER. It will scorch and ruin your suit.

I know this seems very common sense to many of you out there chuckling right now, but we see suits like this every single year. Hang your suit to dry, zipper open, out of direct sun and all will be well!

Last edited:
These Wetsuit care tips are good and indorsed by wetsuit manufacturers

Taking good care of your wetsuit will make your wetsuit last longer. Regular care will extend the life of your wetsuit and save you money. Take good care of your wetsuit and it will keep you warm and in the water longer all year. Here are some wetsuit care tips.

Heat is the enemy of wetsuit fabric
The wetsuit material will break down if you rinse your wetsuit in hot water. Always use cold or warm water. Don’t leave your wetsuit in the sun! The UV rays will deteriorate the wetsuit fabric really fast. Dry your wetsuit in the shade if possible. Don’t leave your wetsuit in your car or trunk of your car for an extended time on a hot day. Soft-boiled wetsuit? Not good.

Dry your wetsuit inside out first
Don’t leave your wetsuit wet and dirty. Rinse it with fresh water and hang it to dry on a SlideHanger™. Don’t use a shoulder hanger. Dry your wetsuit inside out first. You should always, carefully peel your wetsuit off inside- out anyway. Once the inside is dry, turn the wetsuit right side out to finish drying. Store your wetsuit on the SlideHanger™ to reduce fabric stress. DO NOT store your wetsuit on a shoulder hanger.

Does your wetsuit smell?
Most of the time, rinsing your wetsuit with fresh water and thoroughly drying it will keep your wetsuit fresh and odor free. But if your wetsuit gets smelly, wash your wetsuit in a tub of fresh, warm water (not hot). Use one of the special wetsuit soaps or a small amount of baby shampoo. Gently wash it by hand. Rinse your wetsuit thoroughly to get all the detergent off, and then dry your wetsuit in the fresh air.

Sand, dirt, grease & grime
Sand and dirt will abrade the wetsuit fabric. Always try to take your wetsuit off while standing on a towel, board bag, or other clean surface. And of course, always rinse your wetsuit with fresh water and hang it to dry.

Don’t Wash your wetsuit in the washing machine etc.
Don’t wash your wetsuit in the washing machine! Or, dry it in the dryer! Or, use bleach, clothes washing detergent, stain remover, fabric softener, olive oil, jet fuel etc. And, don’t iron your wetsuit either! I didn’t really have to say that right? Use soap made especially for washing your wetsuit or a mild, liquid soap like baby shampoo. Wash your wetsuit by hand! Always use fresh water.

wetsuit hanger, Hang your wetsuit from the waist, the slidehanger wetsuit hanger was developed to eliminate shoulder wear. Wetsuit, Surf gift, links to surf shops, wetsuit care products.

P1010372.JPG

NOW THAT'S A HANGER! and its friend "bulletproof."

For such short period of time no worries!

It's best to soak it in fresh water with detergent for a few minutes. And let dry in shaded area. Avoid drying under the sun. Soak after every use with prolong the life of your wetsuit.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Uncle Pickle,

I use a tablespoon of Woolite in a front loading machine. Front loading is important because you don't have that central agitator beating the @#$%^& out of your neoprene. Again, my and my buddy's 10-y/o suits are in excellent shape. A tablespoon of Lysol or other good disinfectent is also suitable.

The same amounts in about half a 33-gal trash can of water also work. I suggest occasional 'sloshing' with a broom handle or the like.

Please remember to rinse your suit well after whatever means you use. Soap left in anything is a dirt magnet.

I took your advise on the front loader with woolite one Sunday night after a long weekend when I was too tired to wash my 7mm in the tub. Worked great and dried a lot quicker.

somehow got a response to something I already posted in... deleted latest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom