Disney's Dive Quest Report....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds great. So, if we were to go with our kids... is there a recommended best spot and way to time it so we can interact with them .... (they'd be OUTSIDE the tank! )...

My son and I did Dive Quest in Jan. 06. If you are an air hog, all you have to do is swim up to the DM, show them your air gauge and they will have you switched out and back in the water in about 5 minutes. My son had to do that. The rest of us logged 45 minutes.
We really enjoyed it. I would do it again if I had the opportunity. Smiling, waving and laughing with the kids on the other side of the glass made me glad I could clear my mask without too much trouble.

I did this dive 11/12/06 and was really surpised. Definitely a posh dive since everything was set up and ready for you, before and after the dive. You just strapped in and made the dive. Kind of expected less since it was an enclosed aquarium but with the coral and marine life, it didn't feel as small as it looks from outside of the glass. Having most of my experience in quarries and from Curacao, seeing the larger sharks that close was awesome. My wife opted not to make the dive this time, but we will both do it next trip. For some of the other people in my group, was their second or third time at Divequest. As not being too outgoing, I was really surprised how much I enjoyed interacting with other guest thru the glass. My wife enjoyed seeing the reactions of children and adults as we swam up to the glass, and she fielded many questions as most people had no idea what was involved in diving or certification. All in all, it was a great experience and they said the whole fee and money made from CD purchase went directly to Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund and helped reef programs world wide.:14:

Does anyone else think its strange that there are no octos? I know its only 25' (so a CESA shouldn't be a big deal) but I'm a real "belt and suspenders" kind of guy when it comes to diving.

Just a thought,
...steve...

AmyJ:
sounds great. So, if we were to go with our kids... is there a recommended best spot and way to time it so we can interact with them .... (they'd be OUTSIDE the tank! )...

Yes... if your family is at the 2nd level viewing windows, they'll see you just fine. You can interact with them and play with them and everyone else. Several in our group had family members watching.

kittyjg:
Smiling, waving and laughing with the kids on the other side of the glass made me glad I could clear my mask without too much trouble.

Yeah... I kept wondering why my mask was leaking so much, then I realized I was constantly smiling and laughing! I was clearing my mask every five minutes or so... I finally started letting it nearly completely flood before I'd clear it. As in... when the salt water was burning my eyes for a couple minutes, it was time to clear. hahaha LOL

stever2002:
Does anyone else think its strange that there are no octos? I know its only 25' (so a CESA shouldn't be a big deal) but I'm a real "belt and suspenders" kind of guy when it comes to diving.

Just a thought,
...steve...

I do think it's a bit odd. They say the best air is at the top... and it's only 25 feet deep, but alot of your time is spent at roughly half that... playing at the 2nd floor observation windows. There are at least 3 DMs with pony bottles in the tank too... but frankly, I didn't see the DMs very often... it would be safer to do a CESA than look for the staff member. Of course, you should be with your buddy... though harder to do cause everyone looks alike in identical gear.... there should always be someone to share air with if need be.

Bottom line.... I still felt very safe, even though there wasn't an octo or depth guage, etc.

jeepguy:
I did this dive 11/12/06 and was really surpised. Definitely a posh dive since everything was set up and ready for you, before and after the dive. You just strapped in and made the dive. Kind of expected less since it was an enclosed aquarium but with the coral and marine life, it didn't feel as small as it looks from outside of the glass.

I'm in definite agreement here! It was much larger than what you can see thru the acrylic. Did you notice the Mickey head shaped with rocks on the bottom of the tank? You'd think it would be slightly crowded with a total of 15 divers in the tank (12+3 DMs)... and it wasn't crowded at all. You definitely had room to do your own thing.

I'm going to be going on the 30th... in the 5:30 group. Glad to know I don't
need the snorkel... I can take it out of my luggage now :)

Thanks for the very informative report

Great report!
Thanks you for your sharing

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom