• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Displacement of Scooters at Depth - Spun off from the A&I Discussion about Nothernone

Discussion in 'Dive Propulsion Vehicles' started by lv2dive, Mar 28, 2019.

1. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    No reread the scenario I provided, it was very explicit and was neutral (strictly for simplicity)

2. Dan

Dan Great White

Agree.

I was just trying to say that the net weight in the water would be different if it is not neutrally buoyant.

If an object has 2.1 kp (positive) buoyancy with internal air volume of 11 liters. The net buoyancy will be -8.9 (-11 + 2.1) kp as the case of AL80

If an object has -3.5 kp (negative) buoyancy with internal air volume of 10 liters. The net buoyancy will be -13.5 (-19 - 3.5) kp as the case of Steel 300 bar tank.

3. Dan

Dan Great White

You did. I must have missed it. Sorry!

I was fixated on the AL80 example few pages back, which is not neutrally buoyant.

johndiver999 likes this.
  4. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I'd find your explanations more understandable and more compelling if you used proper units and not obsolete things like kp or incorrect things like L instead of l.

5. Dan

Dan Great White

I use kp because other use it here. Since we are talking about force, it's easier and less confusing to use kp than Newton. 1 kp = 1 kg force = 1 kg mass x gravity acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 = 9.8 Newton.

Using l for liter could be mistaken as I (capital letter of i) in my too smart iPhone spellchecker. :)

IncreaseMyT likes this.