Disturbing rumour about making Shark's Cove off-limits to divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although this discussion is good, what Sharks cove really needs, as does the entire Marine Life Conservation District, is for each and every concerned visitor to make a self pledge to keep an extra eye open while visiting the MLCD and act if they see something.

I spend most of each summer diving in the MLCD and I have lost count of how many times I have seen illegal or improper activity taking place and all the while, a handful of regular visitors goes about their diving or snorkeling activities without say or doing a thing to prevent it.

I know many people don't want to "get involved" or may not know how, but "we" as a community can all do our part to help. We can stop visitors from feeding the fish, or learn about the rules and report violations to DLNR when we see them, or even volunteer to help our local community conservation group that is dedicated to protecting the MLCD.

We can all lead by example in every area from considerate parking to ethical dive practices.

If every resident or repeat visitor that enjoys the MLCD, called DLNR (587-0077) every time they saw an infraction, then the voice would be too loud to ignore.
Click here if you want to learn more about "Malama Pupukea Waimea" or just come by 3 tables this Saturday and see what we are all about.

Mahalo for caring about Pupukea MLCD.
ScubaDrew

I agree - it's up to individual divers to exercise as much respect and consideration above/below the water as we can. And as much as I loathe being a member of the 'dive police', what else is one supposed to do when (for example) you hear idiot snorkelers say to their buddies, "Hey, I bet I could stab one of these [schooling Convict Tangs] fish with my knife!" and unsheathes what looks like a samurai sword. This happened a few weeks ago, as I was making my surface swim out...the snorkeler was probably in his teens. I froze in the water and called out to the kid, who looked sheepish and said he was 'just joking'. I waited until the little creep was back on terra firma before I continued with my swim. I truly hope he was joking. But one can never be sure.

ScubaDrew...I checked out Malama Pupukea Waimea online, and it looks awesome. Thanks for all the work you and your colleagues do there.

sadly, yes, i think the dive operators need to move on, from the cove, oahu, is NOT filled with more than a handfull of good accessible shore dives, dive operators should stick to boat diving, IMHO. The cove, luckily is not haunama bay in terms of coral cover, and the pond pool is man made, calling DNLR i doubt will make any difference. I believe, like haunama bay it will need to become an organized park, maybe then someone will clean the bathroom, that itself, is one of the hardest things to understand, how one of the most popular spots on the whole island has a consistently disgusting bathroom, year and year, only good thing was when the copper thieves stole the urinal fixture, then at least they had to put in a new toliet. poor sharks cove ; meanwhile i think the cop should allow the parking to go back to the way it was, as it makes little difference i'm guessing to crime there

I would certainly call DLNR (and have). My concern about the loud voice if they receive too many calls would be to shut it down to those of us who are respectful.

Back
Top Bottom