Dive accident in a Lake in Brazil ??? any info thx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eternaljonah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello all.
My girl friend said there was a dive accident in brazil, in a lake. she read it on a brazilian site. but i have not been able to find any info about what happened. anyone heard anything thanks..

It's not a lake, it's a flooded quarry, very popular for technical training as it goes down to around 90m.

Pedreira (quarry) de Salto de Pirapora.

Here's a link to the best article I saw about this incident. It's in Portuguese but Google translator works very well:
dia a dia | Familiares choram as mortes de mergulhadores | Diário de S. Paulo

The quarry has been out of use for about 10 years.

According to the articles and what I picked up talking to other divers is that one of the divers was inexperienced - only 7 dives and he'd just bought a set of new gear that he was anxious to try out.
The other diver was more experienced - some years of diving.

The bodies were found at 80m. One of the cylinders was empty - not yet clear whose.

Both were using dive computers but the profiles have not been published.

I heard last night from a regular diver at the quarry that the third diver in the group lost contact with the other two, surfaced and then raised the alarm when the other two failed to surface after 40mins.
I'm told it was their 2nd dive.

The problem with this sort of incident is that it creates a lot of pressure to prohibit diving in the quarry - an excellent site for technical training but one that needs to be respected by rec divers, especially inexperienced ones.

The father remarked "This place will keep killing people." as if it's the fault of the quarry.

One of the local residents remarked "The correct thing to do would be to get rid of these three quarries, to avoid the tragedies that keep happening."

Update - from 12 minutes ago.

As feared by the diving community, the owner of the area has now taken steps to block access.

Acesso que leva à pedreira é bloqueado | Antena 1

The dirt-track access has been blocked by piles of boulders and earth.

Detail: According to the tech diver that recovered the bodies, they were found at 74.5m with no obvious external reason for the accident.

thanks, any ideas about what may have happened, will there be a proper inquiry done? its always the place that gets blamed... sad.

There will be a full inquiry by the Civil Police - this should take 30 days. They will be checking the computer profiles, the residual gases in the cylinders etc.

Here is the TV reporting - surprisingly accurate compared to many normally inaccurate ones we see.
You can see their equipment, pictures of the divers and pictures of the quarry.

Salto do Pirapora: polícia investiga morte de mergulhadores - YouTube

Another short video on this page:

http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/soroc...dreira-deve-ser-ouvido-nos-proximos-dias.html

One of the divers was using Nitrox. The most common Nitrox blend is 32 %, with a depth limit of 33 meters. The bodies were found at 74 mts depth.

One of the divers was using Nitrox. The most common Nitrox blend is 32 %, with a depth limit of 33 meters. The bodies were found at 74 mts depth.

Do you know for a fact that there was Nitrox in the tank or are you basing it on the fact that one of the tanks has Nitrox stickers?

Do you know for a fact that there was Nitrox in the tank or are you basing it on the fact that one of the tanks has Nitrox stickers?
Just the sticker.

Interesting that they let the reporter handle all the gear. Dont suppose anyone could read what was written on the slates ?

Just because they were recovered at 74m doesnt mean that is the depth of the incident. Fatalities that occur at depth usually result in the victims sinking - very very rarely do they ever conveniently float to the surface.

Interesting that they let the reporter handle all the gear. Dont suppose anyone could read what was written on the slates ?

On one of the TV reports I watched the reporter flipped all the pages of the slate and read what was written on each. Practically all navigational directions from one diver to another. Nothing immediately significant and no mention of any problems.

Back
Top Bottom