Dive Alabama (Formally ABWA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissBubbles is correct. "Alabama Blue Water Adventures" changed their name to "Dive Alabama." It's a fun spot to check out if you're in the area.

I'm going to check it out - I am quite familiar with I-59 between Gadsden and Birmingham and know where Pelham is. Thanks, guys!

What mm wetsuit should I buy to dive at Dive Alabama? Last time I was there was my checkout dive in September 2011 and I used the instructors. Thanks in advance :eek:)

It depends on what time of year, what depth, and the bottom time...A lot of people use dry suits, but as a general rule, 5 or 7mm will do the trick...If you can layer a 5mm with a 3mm shorty, that might work for you. It mainly depends on your cold tolerance. I think they still rent suits there if you want to keep experimenting before making a purchase.

It depends on what time of year, what depth, and the bottom time...A lot of people use dry suits, but as a general rule, 5 or 7mm will do the trick...If you can layer a 5mm with a 3mm shorty, that might work for you. It mainly depends on your cold tolerance. I think they still rent suits there if you want to keep experimenting before making a purchase.

Thanks for the response! I went on a shopping spree earlier on Leisurepro.. lol.. I found a 5mm BARE for 1/2 the price of all the other sites :)) Hopefully I can layer this one and see how well it does for me :)) I believe I did my open water in a 7mm and I was about to burn up.. But I saw on the site it said the water temps were 52-54 degree's. It didnt seem like the water was that cold October 2 years ago.

Maybe I'll have my dry suit and be proficient and find a dive buddy for my July trip home.

If you aren't happy with that suit, you can always stop by and see what they have available...Stefanie has always been really helpful to me when I've had equipment issues or when I'm looking for gear...They are great with customer service and backing up products.

CindyMac, you'll probably be glad you brought the dry suit but you can get by without it.

Pack an extra piece of bread or two to feed the fish while you're down.

I just don't want to spend another 6 months out of the water. I envy the divers who get out and are dry and I'm wet and cold. Our local quarry tends to stay cool and I just want to stay in the water. I'm an addict. What can I say?

Maybe I'll have my dry suit and be proficient and find a dive buddy for my July trip home.

CindyMac.. When in July will you be visiting? Maybe we can meet up and get some dives in :eek:) I love to dive, but I never have a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom