Dive and let dive... dealing with different styles of diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well then I suppose the policy changed. You were there years ago and I was there 2 weeks ago

I'll buy that ... but 2015 was hardly "years ago" in the usual sense of that term.

Curious how to they deal with folks who brought some other color wetsuit? Do they provide you with one, or do they simply say you can't go on that dive?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sure, I'll probably have a few good laughs with my friends in private, but if you're diving pink split fins and have every gadget known to man clipped on your rig, that's your choice.
Anyone who says that you won't die if you wear split fins is just wrong. :catfight:

I have purple splits. If anyone razzes me about them, I just threaten to beat them with said purple split fins. :letsparty:

:rofl3:

I dive a BP/W, steel HP80, AL30 pony, long hose primary, and...purple split fins. :D

ETA: Check out Lakes Michigan or Huron this summer and you might just see me diving SM with my purple splits. :D

Last edited:
I have at times sensed what I would described as a slightly lukewarm welcome for PADI "holiday divers" from other more extended training providers. I also get the feeling that some drysuit cold water divers regard warm water / summer / holiday divers as an inferior species.

I used to bodyboard at a California locals surfer beach. I called it “surfer noir” as it was cold, often foggy or overcast, and the surfers all in black were positioned territorially, staring silently out to sea, serious and intense, patiently awaiting the few great waves for them. Meanwhile I took ride after ride on the rough whitewater with my rubber fins and my “sponge”, just a dorky happy girl wearing a great big grin. They were cool, but I was way past cool... Which is better? Both are great. Dive and let dive.

just a dorky happy girl wearing a great big grin.
This was cool. My first dive, in June (July?) of 1969 was in Lake Underhill in Orlando Florida (before the E/W Expressway). I was diving in jets, a triple lens ScubaPro mask, a Heathways regulator recovered from Navy throwouts and a tank that was scavenged off of a helicopter and fitted with a J-valve. I used a rope to tie that tank to my back and while it was "less than optimal", I had an awesome time. I bought an AT pack right after that, but that was my configuration for years. Years. Now, I have the latest this and that and mind you: I think I had more fun back then. Way more fun. BTW, I still own those jets, though I can't fit in them. I wonder how I would view my old self if I were to run into me today. Dive and let dive.

What’s an AT pack?

My checkout dives were done with cheap sporting goods mask snorkel and fins. I borrowed the neighbor's stab vest with no inflator attachment and his regulator. I wore thick socks since I didn't have booties and barely scraped enough together for the open water fees. It was a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom