Dive boat overturned in Boynton Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the usual guideline was if the waves are 1/3 the length of the boat in size, stay in an drink beer!

Depends on the length of the waves. I have a 16'7" boat, and I've been out on lots of
8' days. And I've seen 3' that was scary because it was short.

And channels, bars, and inlets are a special case. Local knowledge is required, and
even then stuff happens. I'm glad we don't have any of that to deal with in Monterey.

Yep, the frequency of the wave is probably more important than the amplitude.

I went out on the starfish enterprise in 8-10's. The news came out to film it, only boat to go out and all.

It wasn't too bad, went out 2 days in that stuff. It was a blast! Captain says "get all your gear on before we hit the inlet" and he meant it. DM strapped the gear to the boat with weight belts. Better than a roller coaster!

Wow that is a pretty good size boat. But, 8-10 ft waves are pretty big. I think I would have passed on that trip. It would be really hard to get back on the boat wouldn't it???

The waves were groundswell, so once you got out of shallow water it was just about flat calm. This is from the same camera that Joyce just posted, but it was taken right after the Loggerhead went out. You can see that inbetween sets, and outside of the surfzone it is actually flat calm.
n030833m.jpg

Yep, the frequency of the wave is probably more important than the amplitude.

This is true as far as determining whether or not getting in or out is possible. The amplitude does raise the stakes though.

Due to Tropical Storm Noel, the waves have been at least 8-10 for the past week. In addition, Boynton Inlet is hazardous in the best of weather. With seas tthat large, it is treacherous and quite frankly any captain taking out a charter in those conditions through Boynton Inlet ought to have his liscense suspended!

Boynton inlet is not hazardrous under the best of conditions.

Sorry to hear about the five injuries. On another note. Did the boat sink and if so when are they chartering dives to it. :D

Boynton inlet is not hazardrous under the best of conditions.

It is not worth arguing about, but Boynton is known to be a very tough inlet and when you have 8 foot seas with 3 foot visibility (as has been reported), it is not a good idea to risk lives for a few $$. Glad everyone wound up OK.

Boynton Inlet - Nasty!

I think Kev misspoke... Boynton IS hazardous under the best of conditions...

I too, have been out of Boynton many, many times... aboard Loggerhead and Starfish,
and Deeper.

The ride in can always be tricky... the best of captains need total concentration to
navigate the narrow pass, especially with a rough, following sea behind the boat.

I am happy to hear there weren't any serious injuries. I did read in another post that
some dirtbags were gathering equipment as it washed ashore, and they kept it.

About the high seas... Boynton Inlet in notoriously rough... while many days, the seas
are great for diving. Truely one of my favorite days in recent times, was a day abourd
Starfish with 8-10 ft seas. Absolutely pristine vis and NO abnormal currents on the
bottom!! Great dives and careful timing while getting back on the boat, made for
great memories.

I admit, the day was not for the lighthearted newbs.

A good captain and experienced divers... nuttin' but a thing!:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom