Dive boat overturned in Boynton Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had several dives off the Loggerhead. The problem with the Boyton Inlet is that it focuses waves as you pass through it. So 8-10 foot seas become 10-15 foot seas as you pass through the inlet. Normally you just power through on the back of a swell. Most of the charter boats passing through the inlet have enough power to get themselves out of trouble if it occurs. But the Loggerhead is underpowered. In fact this summer, diving off another boat that uses the inlet, the captain told me that because the Loggerhead is underpowered that it was an accident waiting to happen when passing through the inlet in high seas. He was right.

Boynton and Boca inlets _can_ be "surfed" in with pretty nasty conditions IF you get the setup point and boat speed EXACTLY right. BTDT many times. If the setup point is either transitent or unavailable due to wave conditons the "safe" answer is to run north or south to WPB or Port Everglades depending on fuel level, wave set and wind direction. (Hillsborrough can be worse than Boca in some sea states.)

BTW The ONLY time I've seen a Boston Whaler sink was a wave set incident in Boca inlet. 2 men died and one was very badly injured in that one, one body was recovered.

"Local knowledge" means just that, and applied to all three inlets between WPB and Port Everglades. On days with iffy conditions we'd often stop and walk the jetty before going out to see where the sand bar had moved. The dredge installations of the '80s have improved conditions somewhat, but the sand still moves in a sustained swell situation faster than the dredges can move it out of the channels.
FT

......... but the sand still moves in a sustained swell situation faster than the dredges can move it out of the channels.
FT

So very true my friend. Here a picture of about 100 tons of sand that showed up in ONE day inside the Jupiter Inlet last Friday. Against those rocks it's supposed to be 16 feet deep.

IMG_0648.sized.jpg

Hey all, just a little side note on that day that the Loggerhead sank. It was rough, but we all know that we will suffer thru a few large waves to get to the prize that awaits us below. I just so happened to be on the Starfish the day that the accident occured. There were three dive boats out diving that day. It was a little rough getting out, and all three boats scrubbed the dives because visibility was aweful!! We headed in about 5 to 10 minutes after the Loggerhead. We were wondering why there were coast guard boats in the water and a helicopter above as we approached the inlet. You wont have any luck diving the Loggerhead because it was upside down up next to the shore. All divers were standing on the shore looking at the boat. All divers were checked out at the hospital, but all were released. There was a lot of dive gear still floating in the water. The open ocean was flat once you got out of the inlet. I have sure dove in much worse conditions. When you come for Indiana for some great Florida diving you will put up with a bumpy ride. There was still a small craft advisory out, but all 3 boats were larger than the small craft size. Our ride back in was nothing more than a few waves over the back of the boat thanks to the great captain skills aboard the Starfish. From what I understand the captain of the Loggerhead is a well seasoned captain and just experienced some bad luck that day. I hope that they will be able to re-coop from this soon and wish well to all those affected.
Happy Diving!!!

Hey all, just a little side note on that day that the Loggerhead sank. It was rough, but we all know that we will suffer thru a few large waves to get to the prize that awaits us below. I just so happened to be on the Starfish the day that the accident occured. There were three dive boats out diving that day. It was a little rough getting out, and all three boats scrubbed the dives because visibility was aweful!! We headed in about 5 to 10 minutes after the Loggerhead. We were wondering why there were coast guard boats in the water and a helicopter above as we approached the inlet. You wont have any luck diving the Loggerhead because it was upside down up next to the shore. All divers were standing on the shore looking at the boat. All divers were checked out at the hospital, but all were released. There was a lot of dive gear still floating in the water. The open ocean was flat once you got out of the inlet. I have sure dove in much worse conditions. When you come for Indiana for some great Florida diving you will put up with a bumpy ride. There was still a small craft advisory out, but all 3 boats were larger than the small craft size. Our ride back in was nothing more than a few waves over the back of the boat thanks to the great captain skills aboard the Starfish. From what I understand the captain of the Loggerhead is a well seasoned captain and just experienced some bad luck that day. I hope that they will be able to re-coop from this soon and wish well to all those affected.
Happy Diving!!!

I had not been in this board for a while so first I heard of this event was Jan 19 when I went out on Manta (from Boynton) and they were discussing it.
The incident must have given some captains "religion" because while we went out the 19th with somewhat snotty weather, the captains of Starfish, and Narcosis to mention a few all cancelled for the next day.

Yes that inlet does scare me, but so does Hatteras which can be just as nasty, but a lot longer from the head bouy to "calm waters". Yeh i know Boynton has no bouys.

Florida East Coast inlets are tricky even on calm days, especially if you have an East wind pushing up against an outgoing tide. I've had some scary rides into Govt Cut and never take it lightly.

The earlier post is the best reason i've seen to go with more power on a boat rather then less. Forget the added speed or even improved fuel economy. Nothing is more frustrating then dealing with high seas or a choppy inlet and not being able to stay with the waves. It really is a safety issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom