Dive boat/ Sport fisher coming from Honolulu to San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hakuna Matata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am shipping my boat back to San Diego since we are moving off island, the insulting offers to purchase didnt outweigh the shipping cost. OK, in the long run since I do love my boat.

My diving experience is in Hawaii only, may be in for a brain freeze but I have heard Catalina diving is some of the best. Now as for local water knowledge well I did grow up in Cypress and have been fishing the waters for most of my life. I do know Catalina and Clemente like the back of my hand just always been in the boat fishing the elusive White Seabass.

Other places also interest me for diving, Cortez bank, the east end of Santa Barbara Island between the boiler rocks and possibly the Coronado Islands. I do have to say to myself some of these places I do know first hand to be sharky.

I am looking for divers who also like to fish, lobster dive and offshore spearfishing/free diving. My boat is a fully rigged 48 foot Egg Harbor with diving touches that work, including a diesel powered 10.4 CFM compressor.

My web site is still up and running www.hakunamatatacharters.com for more info and my cell number will remain the same for a while. I havent even begun to consider pricing since as write this I am still in Hawaii. The boat will be slipped in San Diego running out of the Point Loma not Mission Bay. ETA in San Diego is the first week in June.

Looking forward to reading replies, private messages or emails with ideas, recommendations and hey even better trip bookings LOL

Capt. Jack

For those of us who periodically dive in San Diego, we'd be very interested in hearing more about your operation, keep us apprised. I'm generally a solo traveler/diver to San Diego and not in a position to charter your boat.

Good diving, Craig

Seems like there are maybe three or four outfits doing day trips in San Diego right now. At least two of them have compressors on board and one also pumps nitrox on board. I Am not aware of any other liveaboards in San Diego - but I could be wrong.

I would look over the other charters and see how/what they are doing to see how you can fit into the local scene :)

I get home in late June or early July - looking forward to seeing how you are doing.

Capt Jack,

I usually dive with Marissa Dive Charters and am also familiar with Waterhorse Charters, Lois Ann, and Dive Connections (3 boats). These are all out of Quivera Basin and do day trips that cover kelp dives, wreck alley, the Coronados, and more advanced dives such as the Hogan, P38, and Scripps Canyon.

Horizon Charters (2 boats) offers liveaboard trips off So Cal covering the Channel Is and Cortes Bank and off the Baja Penninsula with several different itineraries.

It will be intersesting to see what you decide to offer. Personally, I'd love to get out to San Clemente Is on one of my visits to San Diego.

Good diving, Craig

Capt Jack,

Try doing some trips that the other boats here don't do. Such as San Clemente Island, and the Cortez Bank. Maybe there's a market for trips from San Diego to the Farnsworth Bank off Catalina.

You definately need to get some pictures of your boat on your website. Unfortunately, those 150 watt night lights are going to much good in Calif waters :)

Mark

Are the rates listed HI prices or CA? If they're HI, will it change when you get here? How many divers do you take at a time?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I really would perfer to run trips outside of the beaten path charter boat operation. I would like to see more of an adventure style trip consisting of course diving, offshore spearfishing on kelp paddies, kayak enthusiast, or straight up six pack sportfishing.

Changes to the web site will be made at some point down the road. Prices are subject to many different factors, fuel prices, food included, type of trip and where, ie: permits needed, etc, etc. Dive gear will not be provided on any trips going forward, with a limited load of four passengers only on scuba diving trips. A general idea of trip prices will come in around the $1500 range per day. Most of the trips would leave the night before.

Capt. Jack

Horizon charters does those trips out of Point Loma also. I have been to each of those locations with them, as well as kayaking, spear fishing, etc.

Capt. Jack,
I wish you nothing but great success in this new venture. The economy has put a few more divers on shore but there are always those of us looking for that special trip.

Please keep us updated once you get settled in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom