dive Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got an opportunity that would take me to Brazil to live - for work. I'm unattached so I'm strongly considering. One of the issues, however, is that I'm a diver. I'm diving at every opportunity - every weekend and some days in between. I think I've learned that there's not a lot in the way of caves in Brazil but maybe the saltwater diving makes up for it. I'm not looking for the best spots, I'm looking for spots that one can dive every week at least and enjoy it. Do they exist?
I did some diving outside of Rio in Arraial do Cabo, Angra dos Reis, and Cabo Frio. Are these the places? I think they were each about 2 hours outside of Rio.
So, the question is...where's the diving?
I, of course, know about Fernando de Noronha....that's vacation spot. I'm talking about close to where one could live.
Thanks!
Steve

Buzios is also about 2hrs from Rio. Also for longer trips - the Abrolhos in Bahia. Salvador has diving and is a fun place to live but Rio is a better place to work (and is also a lot of fun)..not sure about South of Rio in Santa Caterina (Florianopolis etc.) - i never made it that far south...

Salvador, Bahia - NE Brazil on the coast....lots of fun ! It's about 750 miles north of Rio. It is widely thought of as the best carnival in Bazil (in Rio you watch carnical, in Savdor youre part of it). I spent 18 months there, and about 6 in Rio. It is a poorer place with some dangers (like most of South/Latin America) but same as anywhere, you stay away from places people tell you not to go and don't flash lots of $$ or expensive things and you'll be fine.

further North you have things like Recife and Natal - I didn't go further north than Salvador, but I hear thise places are great as well. Natal is close to Ferndando de Naronha. All have airports ofr easy travel within Brazil - most international flights go via Sao Paulo or Rio (a couple go direct to regional aurports but more infrequently).

I've only done the south - Arvoredo off Floripa. It's pretty shallow - less than 100 ft and vis is around 60ish feet. But loads of turtles, rays, occasional dolphins, and winter can bring the odd lost penguin. But I would say north is your best bet.

Havent been to Recife but it is the wreck capital of Brasil (link on this page - great dive site map): Atlantis Divers

Also, my buddy who owns a shop in Porto Allegre recently told me about this liveaboard: ANTARES LIVE ABOARD

Hope this helps! :)

Hi
Near to São Paulo, you can dive at "Laje de Santos". It's far from coast (1 hour and 45 minutes in a speedboat). The vis is around 60 feet and often you can find Manta Ray there.

I dove at Ubatuba, SP, too. But the only good thing diving in Ubatuba is the warm and CALM water (diferent of Laje de Santos). The visibility is arround 15 to 18 feet

Besides Recife, if you like wrecks, you can go to Vitória, Espírito Santo.

Once you know Fernando de Noronha, a good choice to live is Recife, Pernambuco. You have good place to dive on weekend, and it's near to Noronha (1,5 hour by air plane). But ofcourse, depends on what you work with.

Hey Steve, diving in the North of Brazil is better because of the temperature of the water(28 degrees year round)! I have a dive center in Natal, the closest coastal city to Noronha, and I have to say that the diving is really great! We have a lot of marine life even though there aren´t any wrecks around. Recife is great as well, but with greatly reduced visibility because of the river spilling into the sea. I have to agree that salvador is a great place to live, and it also has some good diving. I think that cites anywhere along the Brazilian coast will give you some really great diving. My advice is go for it! I´m from Canada and I´ll never go back to minus 40!
Check out some of our diving pics in our photo gallery if you´re interested!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom