dive Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Steve,
I live in São Paulo, and the last weekend I dove at Paraty, RJ. It was a great dive, with calm and warm water (30ºC). Paraty is located at south of Rio de Janeiro State (around 4 hours far from São Paulo - by car). The visibility was not so good (around 30 feet), but the entire trip to Paraty is a great trip, once you have nice beachs, a great night life, and for those who likes foto, (above and underwater), Paraty is a paradise...

I hope you enjoy my country!

Éric Ramos

Hey Steve,
Eric is right, the diving near and around Sao Paolo is not as bad as you would think! There are quite a few absolutely stunning places to visit and great dive spots to see while you're there. The best place is Lage dos santos, about 3 hours away (I guess this depends where you live in Sao Paolo as its the size of a small country itself...!). I own a dive center up North in Rio Grande do Norte (cajudivers.com), but my husband is from Sao Paulo and knows the diving beat well down there! He recomends Diving College, a dive center in Sao Paulo since they are really well organized and professional. The other thing you could do is check out the national dive site (brasilmergulho.com) which is very informative, but unfortunately for English speakers, totally in Portuguese. The other reliable source for dive centers is PADI.br, they list all the PADI dive centers in any city of your choice in Brazil.
Just drop us a line if you need anything else, and hope you have a great time while you're here! Brazil really is everything you think it is!
cheers,
Michelle

Hi Steve and Caju (Michelle)

Hey Steve,
while you're there. The best place is Lage dos santos, about 3 hours away (I guess this depends where you live in Sao Paolo as its the size of a small country itself...!).
Michelle

You are right: Laje de Santos is the best dive spot near São Paulo. AND You are right when you say you can spend 3 hours inside Sao Paulo... last friday I spent 2 hours commuting 25Km... the great problem: Traffic jam.

But, to go to Laje de Santos, you have to take a boat at São Vicente, at 8:00 am. São Vicente is about 80Km from São Paulo. Normally you spend 40 minutes on road (in a regular weekend - not in holiday weekend)... So, if you get the road at 7:00am, you will get time enough to go to pier. At this time, on the weekend, traffic jam is not a problem

The great problem diving the Laje de Santos, is the weather. The place is completely open at 40 Km far from coast. Once, I did 20 minutes dive, and I had to abort the dive because the weather changed so quick, and the winds/waves became so strong, that staying ther became dangerous. But yet, I like to dive there!

Steve, I hope you enjoy dives at Brazil, and if you need something, as Michelle said, just drop us a line.
Michelle, if I go to Natal, I will remember your dive center

[]'s
Éric Ramos

hey everyone - thanks so much. It appears for my first 6 months I'll stay at Marriott Executive apartments in or near Sao Paulo. I don't know where this is in relation to all of these places. I haven't yet booked my flight down but it will be some time in the middle or end of January - right in time for the festivities. I want to dive every weekend and sometimes during the week. I'm a cave diver and ahve done a little wreck diving but nothing serious so this will all be new to me. I did some diving last year with a very good friend in Cabo Frio, Arraial do Cabo, Angra dos Reis, (please forgive my spelling as I try to recall these from memory) and have a great time.
I'm hoping to arrange my first dive trip for the first weekend as soon as I book my flight!
I'll be in touch with both of you.
Btw, do I bring my 3mm, 5mm, 7mm, drysuit, or all of it? What are the water temps year-round? I see all kinds of things from Recife and Fernanda and Rio, but what are people diving? I have pretty good cold tolerance as I dove the caves in Mexico with a 7mm shortie for 2 weeks and was fine (it wasn't a shortie really it was the top part of a farmer john).
Thanks!!!!
Steve

Btw, do I bring my 3mm, 5mm, 7mm, drysuit, or all of it? What are the water temps year-round? I see all kinds of things from Recife and Fernanda and Rio, but what are people diving? I have pretty good cold tolerance as I dove the caves in Mexico with a 7mm shortie for 2 weeks and was fine (it wasn't a shortie really it was the top part of a farmer john).
Thanks!!!!
Steve

I use one 5mm neoprene for all the situations! Buzios, Cabo Frio, Arraial do Cabo were the coldest temperture I've ever faced here in Brazil (about 17ºC ->62,6ºF). As I told in one of my post (this thread), my last dive in Paraty, RJ, the water was about 30ºC (86ºF). There was a guy using a coton t-shirt, just to protect himself from BC.

Cave divers use to use a drysuit. But I'm not a cave diver, so I have no opinion about it. If you have cold tolerance I think 5mm wetsuit is enough.

Hope you enjoy!

Éric Ramos

I use one 5mm neoprene for all the situations! Buzios, Cabo Frio, Arraial do Cabo were the coldest temperture I've ever faced here in Brazil (about 17ºC ->62,6ºF). As I told in one of my post (this thread), my last dive in Paraty, RJ, the water was about 30ºC (86ºF). There was a guy using a coton t-shirt, just to protect himself from BC.

Cave divers use to use a drysuit. But I'm not a cave diver, so I have no opinion about it. If you have cold tolerance I think 5mm wetsuit is enough.

Hope you enjoy!

Éric Ramos

thank you. if you have any link to your operation, I would be very appreciative.
I will be there soon and want to dive right away. the flight alone is too long not diving :) ...

I have to agree with Eric, a 5 mm is your best option. Even thought the water is warm, you will find thermoclines here and there. If you`ve got a farmer John 5 mil that`s even better because you can remove half when you go North! Sorry, but I can`t post our site as I haven`t made enough posts! Just look up Caju Divers, Natal in Google!

Sure thing Eric, :) nice to meet you!

I have to agree with Eric, a 5 mm is your best option. Even thought the water is warm, you will find thermoclines here and there. If you`ve got a farmer John 5 mil that`s even better because you can remove half when you go North! Sorry, but I can`t post our site as I haven`t made enough posts! Just look up Caju Divers, Natal in Google!

Sure thing Eric, :) nice to meet you!

you can PM me your site. click on my name and choose send private message.

Thanks for the info. As it happens, I did look up Caju Divers the other day and the site didn't have any info (just a front page with a graphic), not even a phone number.
anyhow, I'll get in touch when I'm in Brazil. thanks.

ok all, I'm here in Brazil (ok well I was in Brazil yesterday and in Buenos Aires today) but back to Brazil for the weekend. I have a friend diving in Cabo Frio this weekend but maybe it's too much to try to insert myself. anyone diving near SP this weekend?
I'm ready!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom