Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every airline IS different and there's not much point in generalizing. There also seem to be regional or country themes, which kind of makes sense - it's hard for an airline to get away with something much more restrictive if their competitors aren't doing it, unless they are charging much less. What's the point of the pissing match? The only one that matters is the one you're on.

From what I have seen it would appear US carriers are on average more generous in what they allow for carryon than some non-US carriers, but that's obviously not universal. It's also the case that many US based airlines have different rules for domestic flights than international (generally more checked luggage allowed on international flights for free.) It's also the case you can get bitten (or sometimes have it work to your advantage) if a flight is really a codeshare or your itinerary is on a mixture of airlines with different rules. But again, the only one that matters is the one you're on! It's quite possible to be going to or from someplace where all the carriers, or maybe the only carrier, have very restrictive carryon limits. The person you accuse of not doing their research may very well have had no better options, or some other reason they had to take a certain airlines. So unless you're an expert in the ever changing policies of every airline in the world...

So I took a Sharpie and blacked out everything that distinguished the bag as a dive bag. The whole thing is black with no "DiveCaddy logos" and it just looks like an expedition bag. (Sorry DiveCaddy for the lost advertising).

It does sound like an amazing system, but alas I too would do this.

Sorry DiveCaddy, but I do NOT want it advertised that the bag has ANYTHING to do with diving. That simply invites too much trouble.

The person you accuse of not doing their research may very well have had no better options, or some other reason they had to take a certain airlines. So unless you're an expert in the ever changing policies of every airline in the world...

Not sure if that was directed at me or not but I can't remember accusing anybody of anything. If I have I apologise unreservedly.
I initially asked the question of how you guys get away with so much carry on when my experience is so very different. As I have said before, I would love to have the sort of allowance that would enable me to carry all my dive gear with me in something like a Dive Caddy. It would be an ideal situation!

As before, airlines are different -they are not all the same. You named airlines that have more restrictive weight restrictions...I have been fortunate enough not to encounter any such airlines for national or international flights. Frankly I didn't even know about airlines with 6kg weight restrictions until your posts.

As before, you may want to find a new carrier. Spirit Airs charges about $40 per carry-on baggage so I avoid them. There is no valid excuse, other then to price gouge, for this charge.

This should answer your question as to how we can get a dive caddy full of dive gear into the cabin.

It does sound like an amazing system, but alas I too would do this.

Sorry DiveCaddy, but I do NOT want it advertised that the bag has ANYTHING to do with diving. That simply invites too much trouble.

You have three options:
1) Black it out (as others have mentioned) the labels
2) You can remove the labels (very carefully) with a razor blade. They are stitched into the product. Again be careful to not tear the product itself.
3) I think DiveCaddy is coming out with version 2 which has no labels

As I have said before, I would love to have the sort of allowance that would enable me to carry all my dive gear with me in something like a Dive Caddy. It would be an ideal situation!
Find airlines that are less restrictive and use them.

Also, what I have found while airlines are restrictive they give leeway...for example the box you are supposed to measure your carry-on would fit a slightly larger briefcase or laptop bag. It would not fit a standard carry-on roller bag, a backpack, and most certainly not a dive caddy. The airlines don't use it as far as I have seen (and i fly about 1-2 times a month)...maybe if someone is being a jerk to the person at the gate they may request them to put their stuff in, but that is more of punishment.

Not sure if that was directed at me or not
actually, no. I thought I was standing up for you. I didn't even notice who was saying all airlines are the same. Since they're not, some suck differently than others. :wink:

Hello all,

Great conversation and points... We appreciate the interest and passion of the thread participants.

Let me take a minute to break down the use of the DiveCaddy for both domestic and international travel.

To clarify, domestic airline travel carry-on restrictions are generally more concerned with size than weight. International focuses on both.

On most domestic flights the metal "challenge racks" at the gates are pretty much the lowest common denominator. I think most of you understand the process of temporarily removing the Turtle and SpiderPacks to fit the core system in the rack and won't break it down here... (Feel free to email me if you have questions.)

For international trips, the scale doesn't lie. The beauty of the DiveCaddy is that empty it only weighs 5lbs with all of it's parts. In the "international configuration" we remove the Turtle and SpiderPacks and leave the FinCaddy at home or put it in a checked bag, with dive knife, etc., for use at the destination. The DiveCaddy core system only weighs 2.5lbs.

The Point: How you use the DiveCaddy depends on your travel. Unlike other systems, the highly compressable, modular design gives you options and choices. Domestically, jam the thing as full as you are reasonably comfortable traveling with; internationally, pack light with just the main bag/core system. (Minus TurtleBag, SpiderPack and FinCaddy)

Some of the most restrictive international weight limits we've seen on major airlines are in the 7kg range (14-15lbs give or take.) 5kg, as I believe Shortcuts referenced, is EXTREMELY aggressive, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised as the airlines continue their "extra fee" assault on the public.

In summary:

We talk to a ton of traveling divers and have come to the realization that traveling internationally with semi-cold or cold water gear is becoming a thing of the past. Thankfully, many of the major equipment manufacturers are putting out some great tropical gear solutions. The Zuma, Zeus, Scout, etc., BCD's are wonderful for airtravel to warm water destinations. Some interesting fin designs are also emerging to help with the traditional size and weight issues compared to the "old school" fin styles most of us have used. For general tropical diving, the lightest fin we have found is the APS Manta Ray system. It is truly hyper-light.

At the risk of making a very long post even longer, I'd like to share my international gear list:

DiveCaddy Core bag only (2.5lbs)
Aqua Lung Zuma XL (w/ alt air source-LP inflator)
Pinnacle Breaker 3mm XXLT full wet suit
Akona XL soft boots, soft gloves
AquaLung Micron Reg and 1st stage, Suunto D9 transmitter. (Wear the watch/computer)
APS MantaRay fins

All in is approx. 14lbs (7kg give or take) and will fit in a CRJ regional overhead and any "challenge rack" that I have ever seen or heard of...

Best,

Chad

Chad@divecaddy.net

Drooling over this. I am headed to Curacao at the end of the month and this would be perfect. I think I'm going to have bake sale to raise funds!

Hello All,

As always, great posts on this thread...

1) Taking the DiveCaddy on dive boats: As REACTIVE stated, the DC needs a little more room to load as it rolls out flat vs. a stuff sack type duffle bag. As avid divers ourselves, we recognized this challenge early on and have been developing a new product that is as innovative as the DC itself.

The new product will launch very soon and is tentatively going to be called the "DestinationBag". It is a multipurpose bag system that integrates perfectly into the existing DC platform. It is designed to solve some of the other issues we all deal with while traveling.

For those of you going to Beneath the Sea, we will have a prototype "in the back". We will give you a sneak peek if identify yourselves as being ScubaBoard posters.

If you haven't noticed from prior posts, I love my DiveCaddy.

Any further info about the DestinationBag? Anyone laid eyes on the thing at Beneath the Sea?

I saw it being demonstrated at the Tacoma, WA Dive and Travel show yesterday. I came so close to pulling the trigger and getting one...but did not becuase: 1) My fins are Tusa Imprex and are rather large and angled compared to the smaller, flatter ones Chad was demonstrating with. 2) It appears that the bag has to go in the overhead bins sideways as it will not fit straight in (ie:"wheels -out" on a normal roller). I fly all the time and lately, once on board, the flight crews have been "big dealing" the "wheels-out/straight in" bit! I don't want to have to a-la-cart the bag all the time.

Definitely thought it was a well made and well marketed product...just physically too long. One stroke of the pen someday and these units would have to be checked anyhow.

Still kicking it around though:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom