Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was Thomson Air on a liveaboard package via Tony Backhurst ( Scuba Diving Holidays | Scuba Travel )
To the Red Sea.
Flight destination Marsa Alam, Egypt.

Wow! this airline is very restrictive. 23kg or 50lbs for checked bag and 5kg or 11 lbs for carry on. I have never run across such restrictions for carry on. It must be based on the size of the plane and limited space. My DiveCaddy when loaded runs about 35 lbs or 15.8kg so it will not work for you on this particular airline. The airlines I have used all have a minimum of 40-45 lbs for carry on.
Safe Diving,
Brad

Dive Caddy bag seems real nice. I am currently looking for 2 carry on type bags to keep 2 sets of dive gear in. These are WAY costly though I think @240.00 each. I would also be considered that my size large Apollo Bio's wont fit (they are nearly 24" long) MEI looks like their duffle backpack may be a great choice for both the plane as well as on the boat...and at a much cheaper price! Plus I hear they offer LE & Military discounts. Anyone know if DiveCaddy also offers this type of discount? Anyone used the DiveCaddy with Apollo's?

Wow! this airline is very restrictive. 23kg or 50lbs for checked bag and 5kg or 11 lbs for carry on. I have never run across such restrictions for carry on. It must be based on the size of the plane and limited space. My DiveCaddy when loaded runs about 35 lbs or 15.8kg so it will not work for you on this particular airline. The airlines I have used all have a minimum of 40-45 lbs for carry on.
Safe Diving,
Brad

I fail to understand this to be honest.
This isn't unique as ALL airlines from UK airports have the same or very similar baggage weight restrictions. In fact I am under the impression that this is a universal limit as I have travelled all over the world, literally (apart from the states), from and to different international airports so it isn't even just a UK thing!
This is why I question how you get that amount of luggage on board as carry on.
Nor is it anything to do with the "size of the plane and limited space". This applies to the smaller European and domestic "hoppers" as well as the international long haul jumbo's.
Trust me, if I were able to follow your lead and take all my dive gear as carry on then the dive caddy or similar would be a must have accessory and I certainly would not be alone there! But it just would not be possible.
Possibly your internal USA flights have a different system but surely you guys would not get away with this if you were to take an international flight?
Plus you aren't allowed liquids in carry on!

Last edited:
Well size restrictions are mandated by the airlines, not the country (as far as I have seen). If a country has weight restrictions they will usually put a floor, not a ceiling to prevent airlines from price gouging. The only exception would be security, and security doesn't care about the weight of your carry-on, just the specific contents.

For example US Airways sets their carry-on to 40lbs.

The carryon is very much based on the size of the plane. I have been in 767 where there is tons of space and no issues, and then gone on those really small planes (don't know the designation) where even standard carry-on bags have to be checked at the gate. The weight is not really the issue for the plane lift capactiy, though it may be the issue for the overhead bin to support the weight (your bag alone won't matter, but if everyone puts 100 lbs in the overhead bin then the bin may break)

If Thompson only allows for 5kg then you may want to fly with another company. 10lbs, some womens purses weigh more then that.

@Fourseventeen: My bulky cold-weather gear fits in the divecaddy just fine. The fines are large (v16) are 24.4 inches (62 cm). The fins are curved, so to get them to fit I put them opposing ends (so the heal of one fin is touching the fin tip of the other). You may have to play with the orientation a bit. The nice thing about the caddy - there is no specific way you have to pack your bag. My wetsuit is situated in the left interior mesh pocket for the top half, and the rest is laid out accross the rest of the bag...so when I roll it up the wetsuit rolls with the bag (again on the inside). Once DiveCaddy sent me the video to give me a different perspective, based on larger sized gear, I was able to roll up my bag in ten minutes.

If Thompson only allows for 5kg then you may want to fly with another company. 10lbs, some womens purses weigh more then that.

I think that after this comment I may leave this thread as I appear not to be getting my point across!

All airlines, not just Thomson, are the same. In fact Thomson are quite generous by todays standard in that they allow an extra 5kg (making a total of 25kg max) if you are a diver carrying diving gear. But this has to be carried in the hold. On top of that you are only allowed one bag, of a certain size and weighing a max of 5kg (although that may be 10kg I don't remember off the top of my head) to carry on to the aircraft. Although I don't remember the exact size and weight measurements it most certainly would not amount to the size and weight of a Dive Caddy full of dive gear and clothing etc. And these limits apply irrespective of the type and size of aircraft!

Perhaps you are refering to US domestic flights where the limits may be as you describe. I don't mean to belittle or insult you but have you flown on an international flight outside of the states? I'm beginning to think that possibly you haven't because these limits I describe are common elsewhere.

Believe me if It were not the case as I describe I, and loads of UK/European divers would buy a Dive Caddy asap!!

Here is something that came up via google.

Size and type of hand baggage allowed

Hand baggage is luggage that you carry on the plane with you, while hold baggage is luggage that you check-in.

The Department for Transport has set the maximum size for an item of hand baggage as 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, (17.5"x 22"x 9.85") including wheels, handles and external pockets. However, some airlines may only allow smaller bags, so check with them first.

Airlines may also have their own rules regarding the number of bags you are allowed to take on the aircraft. It is best to contact them if you have any questions.
Air travel hand baggage rules : Directgov - Travel and transport

Last edited:
@Fourseventeen: My bulky cold-weather gear fits in the divecaddy just fine. The fines are large (v16) are 24.4 inches (62 cm). The fins are curved, so to get them to fit I put them opposing ends (so the heal of one fin is touching the fin tip of the other). You may have to play with the orientation a bit. The nice thing about the caddy - there is no specific way you have to pack your bag. My wetsuit is situated in the left interior mesh pocket for the top half, and the rest is laid out accross the rest of the bag...so when I roll it up the wetsuit rolls with the bag (again on the inside). Once DiveCaddy sent me the video to give me a different perspective, based on larger sized gear, I was able to roll up my bag in ten minutes.

Thanks for that info buddy. I wish those bags were a bit more affordable. Buying 2 of those at once would kill me for a couple of weeks.:shakehead:

I fail to understand this to be honest.
This isn't unique as ALL airlines from UK airports have the same or very similar baggage weight restrictions. In fact I am under the impression that this is a universal limit as I have travelled all over the world, literally (apart from the states), from and to different international airports so it isn't even just a UK thing!
This is why I question how you get that amount of luggage on board as carry on.
Nor is it anything to do with the "size of the plane and limited space". This applies to the smaller European and domestic "hoppers" as well as the international long haul jumbo's.
Trust me, if I were able to follow your lead and take all my dive gear as carry on then the dive caddy or similar would be a must have accessory and I certainly would not be alone there! But it just would not be possible.
Possibly your internal USA flights have a different system but surely you guys would not get away with this if you were to take an international flight?
Plus you aren't allowed liquids in carry on!

Seems you just called me dishonest. Here is one airlines carry on limit. This is for domestic as well as international. Check the others yourself.

Continental will permit one bag plus one personal item (see below), per customer to be carried on the aircraft.

The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag is 45 inches (115 cm)up to 14 in x 9 in x 22 in. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg).

I think that after this comment I may leave this thread as I appear not to be getting my point across!

All airlines, not just Thomson, are the same.

Perhaps you are refering to US domestic flights where the limits may be as you describe. I don't mean to belittle or insult you but have you flown on an international flight outside of the states? I'm beginning to think that possibly you haven't because these limits I describe are common elsewhere.

1) All airlines are NOT the same
2) As i stated above, I just flew to the Cayman Islands (requires a passport, customs check, going through US Airways International) and had no problems with my dive caddy on four different flights
3) I also fly to Israel and have never heard of such restrictive carryon
4) I recommend you research different airline carriers before you fly

From US Airways (which is a huge international carrier)

Carry-on baggage
Size requirements
You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.
Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
Up to 40 lbs/18 kg

The other guy posted for Continental.

That is two airlines which breaks your claim of "all airlines are the same" - since clearly they are not.

Not enough? El Al which is NOT a US based airline
Based on the ticket
1st class - two hand luggage totalling 52 lbs
Business/platinum - two hand luggage totalling 44 lbs
Coach - one luggage 17 lbs

Again - all airlines not the same.

Emirates Airlines:

Departure City London, United Kingdom
Arrival City Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Class Economy
Skywards Tier Not a member (Join Skywards)

Cabin baggage allowance

You may board with one piece of carry-on baggage, subject to the following size and weight limitations:
Handbag
Handbag: 55 cm x 38 cm x 20 cm (22" x 15" x 8")

Weight must not exceed 7 kg (15 lbs).

Wheelie Bags

Please note that rolling bags with built-in wheels and retractable handles will be permitted as cabin baggage only if the total dimensions (length, width and height) add up to less than 114 cm (45"). The larger, overnight models of this type of bag will not be permitted in the cabin.

Travelling with Infants

For infant food and other in-flight necessities, passengers in any class of service who are traveling with an infant are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage in addition to the above, subject to the following size and weight limitations:
Handbag
Handbag: 55 cm x 38 cm x 20 cm (22" x 15" x 8")

Weight must not exceed 5 kg (11 lbs).

Passengers traveling with infants are also permitted one carry-cot or one fully collapsible stroller, as a carry-on item if cabin space is available or else as checked baggage in the hold.

Carrier Aircraft Class of travel Hand bag allowance (max)
Comair All All 7kg (15lbs)
Sunair of Scandinavia All All 6kg (13lbs)

Virgin Atlantic:

Economy and Premium Economy

Economy and Premium Economy passengers may take 1 piece of hand baggage on board. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 13lb/6kg in weight.

Singapore airlines:

Size and Dimensions
Under the Singapore Airlines' cabin baggage policy, each passenger will be allowed the following cabin baggage allowance:

* Quantity : 1 piece for Economy Class passengers
2 pieces for Suites, First and Business Class passengers*
* Dimensions : Length + Breadth + Height (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45") in
total and can be stowed securely
* WEIGHT : UP TO 7 KG

I don't think I need go any further but I could.
I don't want to get into an argument as that seems to happen too frequently on SB(!) but this is common as far as cabin baggage is concerned. Which is why I have been asking the question as to how you guys get a Dive Caddy full of dive gear into the cabin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom