Dive Centres recommended for Rescue/Divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skienzy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am long time lurker on these forums. I decided to join because of the fantastic advice I've seen on here on various topics, particularly that given to new divers.

I am PADI AOW qualified with ~17 dives under my belt (including a couple of wreck dives in the Philippines), all in South East Asia.

I want to continue my training and do the EFR/Rescue course at the very least (as well as possibly Deep/Wreck/Nitrox depending on how I get on). I am also considering doing my divemaster course, if not to go down the professional route, to gain a better understanding and experience of assisting and helping other divers. I've always enjoyed helping/assisting others regardless of the activity and I feel it would greatly benefit my diving experience (once my skills are up to a high level).

I am planning on quitting my job to go backpacking/travelling again next year and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on dive centres to do these courses. I plan on diving a lot more during this time, even if I don't do the dive master course.

I will be travelling through North Asia to the Indian Subcontinent overland so I was looking at a few dive centres around the Philippines as I enjoyed it there so much last time. I am not really into the 'party scene' in places I have looked at such as Utlia/Roatan in Honduras and Cozumel in Mexico and would prefer to do these courses/fun dives and improve my diving in a place that's a bit quieter and focusses more on diving instead of constant partying. (I don't mind a beer or two but I'd prefer to have a quiet one at the end of a days dive rather than partying everynight). I am open to suggestions around the world as I have no particular set route in place so I can go anywhere.

Many thanks.

Have never dived in the Philippines but I have dived in Thailand, Vietnam, and Sipadan malaysia but I just did my DMT in Komodo Indonesia, and it was the best diving I've ever done. Before this, I was considering doing my DMT in Utila or Dahab but the diving in Komodo beats the feces out of anything else I've seen. The corals were so colorful, healthy, and abundant. We saw manta rays every day and it wouldn't be a matter of would we see one, but how many today? ALso, the currents can get very strong and erractic making it a good place to learn about different dive conditions.

...Komodo beats the feces out of anything else I've seen. The corals were so colorful, healthy, and abundant. We saw manta rays every day and it wouldn't be a matter of would we see one, but how many today? ALso, the currents can get very strong and erractic making it a good place to learn about different dive conditions.

Taking courses in Komodo certainly teaches you to dive in current and johnnyafrica is right, there are many different dive conditions, which will help make you a better diver. Not to mention while learning you would be doing some of the best diving in the world!

Labuan Bajo on Flores has a range of dive centers Blue Marlin, was the first PADI 5* in Komodo I believe, and Komodo Dive Center also has a 5* facility. These are located in the center of Labuan Bajo, which is a nice little village (although growing rapidly). If you want to get out of town Bajo Dive offers courses too. Tip: If you get in with a dive center w/a 2N/3D liveaboard you may be able to go out w/the boat during a DM course, no guarantees of course.

Bali also has many great dive centers and again, you'll be learning and diving some of the greatest dive sites in the world. Try Bali Scuba or Crystal Divers in Sanur. Or if you are on the west coast try Aquamarine Diving in Seminyak.

Wherever you take your courses happy fishes!

Back
Top Bottom