Dive Clubs/Shops in San Diego Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrincessOfPower

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey All,

I am new to the San Diego area and am looking to find a dive community. Any suggestions on great shops to go through, or clubs to join?

Any shops to avoid...or clubs to avoid, for that matter (PM me if you wish).

Any recommendations for course directors (I would like to do my IDC staff, but only with the right person)?

Any recommendations for tech instructors?

Finally - any San Diego instructors willing to answer a few very brief questions about what its like teaching here? I am PADI. I desperately miss teaching, but since (like many) its just a side job for me, I am a little unsure if its going to be worth it to pay my dues and get insurance. Specifically, I am wondering...

- Do shops tend to just churn out certs here?
- What are the locally accepted ratios of students/instructors? Back in BC everyone did 4/1, or so (not the worldwide PADI standard of 8/1)
- What's the pay like (no need for specifics, although those would be sweet to know, I just want to know what the likelihood of me earning back my dues and insurance if I am just a part time/casual instructor really is...)
- Is the enough instructing work to go around? Back in BC (where I am from), despite the economic downturn, it seemed like there were never quite enough instructors.
- How are divemasters generally utilized here?

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion they feel like sharing!

Welcome to So.Cal., Kate.
Sorry, can't give you alot of information here as I only drive down to SD to dive and visit my daughter every once in awahile... hopefully some locals will chime in. I can let you know that there are two very active groups that you will want to hook up with in San Diego. First has a sub-forum here: Power Scuba - ScubaBoard (the "sticky" has their link) ... second is: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website Dive on in and enjoy!!!!

Thanks for the tip off Dave! I joined up with Power SCUBA - now, all I need to do is get my gear in order (and get my life in order so that I feel like I have a free morning or evening off for a dive!)

I am still looking for more info, particularly from any PADI instructors in the area.

You've found one, neighbor. (Instructor, that is.)

Welcome to Power Scuba. Looking forward to seeing you at an event soon. We do many, so it shouldn't be hard to find one to suit your schedule.

I trust you saw the Indonesia announcement as well, yes? :)

See you soon!

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom