Dive Company sued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here's some current scuba news. Dive company sued after deaths
icordle@herald.com

A Miami law firm has filed the first wrongful death suit against Peter Hughes Diving of Miami Lakes, seeking $10 million for the family of a crew member who drowned when the Wave Dancer capsized in Belize during Hurricane Iris.

The 120-foot boat, carrying 20 members of the Richmond (Va.) Dive Club and a crew of eight, was hit the night of Oct. 8 by a storm surge from the devastating hurricane, with winds of 140 mph. Seventeen passengers and three crew members were killed when the boat was swept into mangroves and embedded in 15 feet of mud. Three passengers and five crew members survived, including the boat's captain.

The lawsuit, filed in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, alleges that the company's captain insisted on taking the passengers on a dive to ensure full payment despite the impending hurricane; cut off nearly all communication; failed to heed numerous warnings to take passengers to shore; improperly tied down the boat; and did not provide life jackets.

``This is just a senseless tragedy,'' said Bill Huggett, a Miami maritime attorney with Huggett & Watford who filed the suit.

Peter Hughes, president of Peter Hughes Diving, defended his crew, saying in a statement that evidence suggests a tornado may have caused the boat to capsize.

``I know our crew did all they could to protect each and every individual,'' Hughes said. ``They sought shelter in accordance with our hurricane response plan, but there was simply no way for them to predict that Iris would change directions and head straight for Big Creek or that the vessel, crew and passengers would be faced with the rage of the suspected tornado contained within this already devastating hurricane.''

The suit was filed on behalf of the husband, daughter, mother and sister of Eloisa Johnson-Hall, a 30-year-old Belizean chef who worked aboard the Wave Dancer. A second suit, on behalf of the mother and two sisters of Brenda Wade, 29, an assistant chef, will be filed today, said Nelson Ayala, admiralty investigator for Huggett & Watford.

According to the lawsuit, which also lists Peter Hughes, Wave Dancer Ltd. and Capt. Philip Martin as defendants, the dive company would earn its entire fee as long as one dive was made. The captain, therefore, took passengers to the closest dive spot and made a dive. And to maintain control of the crew, he disconnected radio transmission receivers throughout the vessel, leaving only one in the wheelhouse operable, the suit alleges.

Unable to communicate with the boat and knowing it was in grave danger, the Belizean military sent a special helicopter carrying a banner instructing the boat to return to port at once. The government also sent an evacuation order, which the captain ignored, the suit alleges.

The captain took the boat up inland waters, passing Belize City, where he could have docked and secured passengers and crew in high-rise hotels, according to the suit. Instead, Hughes and the captain jointly decided, by radio, to keep everyone onboard the vessel and ordered the crew to give the passengers a ``hurricane party,'' the suit says.

Johnson-Hall called her husband on a cellphone, saying she wanted to get off the boat, but the captain wouldn't let her and took the phone away, the suit alleges. The captain fired another crew member when she stepped off the boat -- intimidating the other (crew) members of the crew, including Johnson-Hall.

Another boat chartered by the Richmond Dive Club, the Belize Aggressor III, was tied to the same Big Creek dock as the Wave Dancer, the company said. That boat remained tied up, but the Wave Dancer was swept 400 feet away.

Martin, the company said, tried to save lives and aided survivors. He even swam across the channel to seek assistance from the other boat.

``All of us at Peter Hughes Diving are in a state of grieving disbelief and shock,'' Hughes said, offering condolences to the families involved. ``Nothing like this has ever happened to our diving family during our 30 years in the charter business.''

Herald staff writer Yves Colon contributed to this report.

I really hope that all those that are mentioned in the case are not true.... As a travel agent and diver can't accept such profit-driven procedures because they destroy the name of both diving and tourism...I am disgusted to think that companies put $$$ above human life...Of course I know that such companies exist but as an optimistic person i prefer to believe that they are a minority...

I hope...

Manogr

Nevermind, I found it.

A Miami law firm has filed the first wrongful death suit against Peter Hughes Diving of Miami Lakes, seeking $10 million for the family of a crew member who drowned when the Wave Dancer capsized in Belize during Hurricane Iris.

The 120-foot boat, carrying 20 members of the Richmond (Va.) Dive Club and a crew of eight, was hit the night of Oct. 8 by a storm surge from the devastating hurricane, with winds of 140 mph. Seventeen passengers and three crew members were killed when the boat was swept into mangroves and embedded in 15 feet of mud. Three passengers and five crew members survived, including the boat's captain.

The lawsuit, filed in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, alleges that the company's captain insisted on taking the passengers on a dive to ensure full payment despite the impending hurricane; cut off nearly all communication; failed to heed numerous warnings to take passengers to shore; improperly tied down the boat; and did not provide life jackets.

``This is just a senseless tragedy,'' said Bill Huggett, a Miami maritime attorney with Huggett & Watford who filed the suit.

Peter Hughes, president of Peter Hughes Diving, defended his crew, saying in a statement that evidence suggests a tornado may have caused the boat to capsize.

``I know our crew did all they could to protect each and every individual,'' Hughes said. ``They sought shelter in accordance with our hurricane response plan, but there was simply no way for them to predict that Iris would change directions and head straight for Big Creek or that the vessel, crew and passengers would be faced with the rage of the suspected tornado contained within this already devastating hurricane.''

The suit was filed on behalf of the husband, daughter, mother and sister of Eloisa Johnson-Hall, a 30-year-old Belizean chef who worked aboard the Wave Dancer. A second suit, on behalf of the mother and two sisters of Brenda Wade, 29, an assistant chef, will be filed today, said Nelson Ayala, admiralty investigator for Huggett & Watford.

According to the lawsuit, which also lists Peter Hughes, Wave Dancer Ltd. and Capt. Philip Martin as defendants, the dive company would earn its entire fee as long as one dive was made. The captain, therefore, took passengers to the closest dive spot and made a dive. And to maintain control of the crew, he disconnected radio transmission receivers throughout the vessel, leaving only one in the wheelhouse operable, the suit alleges.

Unable to communicate with the boat and knowing it was in grave danger, the Belizean military sent a special helicopter carrying a banner instructing the boat to return to port at once. The government also sent an evacuation order, which the captain ignored, the suit alleges.

The captain took the boat up inland waters, passing Belize City, where he could have docked and secured passengers and crew in high-rise hotels, according to the suit. Instead, Hughes and the captain jointly decided, by radio, to keep everyone onboard the vessel and ordered the crew to give the passengers a ``hurricane party,'' the suit says.

Johnson-Hall called her husband on a cellphone, saying she wanted to get off the boat, but the captain wouldn't let her and took the phone away, the suit alleges. The captain fired another crew member when she stepped off the boat -- intimidating the other (crew) members of the crew, including Johnson-Hall.

Another boat chartered by the Richmond Dive Club, the Belize Aggressor III, was tied to the same Big Creek dock as the Wave Dancer, the company said. That boat remained tied up, but the Wave Dancer was swept 400 feet away.

Martin, the company said, tried to save lives and aided survivors. He even swam across the channel to seek assistance from the other boat.

``All of us at Peter Hughes Diving are in a state of grieving disbelief and shock,'' Hughes said, offering condolences to the families involved. ``Nothing like this has ever happened to our diving family during our 30 years in the charter business.''

Thanks!
kate

I think the whole thing sucks and I am not a big fan of everyone sueing averyone but if the accusations turn out to be true the family of the lost members may own their own dive charter service when it is done.

Yeah - I agree with you Syruss - accusations from the mouth of a lawyer is not something I take too serious - that guy is out to make money...

If it turns out that it is actually the case that is a different issue - but currently we are dealing with rumors and a potentially good operation shutting down for some law geek who probably have no clue what diving is about ... Go figure...

Big T

I've moved from Belize since the last time I posted on this board and haven't really felt the need to post untill now but this thread really draws the end.

Everyone is jumping onto a bandwagon just for the sake of saying, sueing or just feeling important. I can understand the lawyers and the journalists especially the american (note the small "a") variety leaping as most parasites do onto the back of tragedy to pay the rent on their offshore owned hideaways or cover their bad investments or women/men on the side but one expects a little more from real divers.

Several closely related members of crew died in a tragedy others didn't. The ones who were on deck working for the safety of all were the"lucky"ones .I knew all of those who died. I also know the Captain not as well as the Belizeans but I know him. The plan for most hurricanes foe most boats over 50 feet inlength is to run to Big Creek always has been and after american lawyers who are doubtless ambulance cahsing right now in Belize always will be. The reason for this is because it is a sound, logical and safe plan. The Aggressor survived other boats survived in the same place a freak of wind an act of god chose to take Divers on. Where the Blame!

Now belizean lawyers (closely related to the american version)are acting as front men for ("poor" i.e we have no more money what a godsend) american lawyers who have convinced a grieving family that by taking "insurance" money " no one will possibly get hurt.

Sorry Phil, Bart and all the others who were there are already hurting and politicians saying they offered and lawyers saying it was possible won't take any of their pain or the families pain away.
The inquest will decide if there was blame and if there is blame all of you reading this could not imagine the hell that is Hattieville should criminal charges be proven.

Raffles
:boom:

Originally posted by raffles
I've moved from Belize since the last time I posted on this board and haven't really felt the need to post untill now but this thread really draws the end.

Everyone is jumping onto a bandwagon just for the sake of saying, sueing or just feeling important. I can understand the lawyers and the journalists especially the american (note the small "a") variety leaping as most parasites do onto the back of tragedy to pay the rent on their offshore owned hideaways or cover their bad investments or women/men on the side but one expects a little more from real divers.

Several closely related members of crew died in a tragedy others didn't. The ones who were on deck working for the safety of all were the"lucky"ones .I knew all of those who died. I also know the Captain not as well as the Belizeans but I know him. The plan for most hurricanes foe most boats over 50 feet inlength is to run to Big Creek always has been and after american lawyers who are doubtless ambulance cahsing right now in Belize always will be. The reason for this is because it is a sound, logical and safe plan. The Aggressor survived other boats survived in the same place a freak of wind an act of god chose to take Divers on. Where the Blame!

Now belizean lawyers (closely related to the american version)are acting as front men for ("poor" i.e we have no more money what a godsend) american lawyers who have convinced a grieving family that by taking "insurance" money " no one will possibly get hurt.

Sorry Phil, Bart and all the others who were there are already hurting and politicians saying they offered and lawyers saying it was possible won't take any of their pain or the families pain away.
The inquest will decide if there was blame and if there is blame all of you reading this could not imagine the hell that is Hattieville should criminal charges be proven.

Raffles
:boom:

Good Post Raffles,

I feel sorry for family members and friends of the lost ones, but it is a shame one tragedy may lead to another. I think putting into that creek sounds like what others did too and was a good plan, but even good plans fail. I just hope the other accusations are unfounded!

If memory serves me correctly, Lloyds of London's representatives determined that the disaster was an act of god (likely a mini-tornado spun off the hurricane) and not the result of negligence. A Belizean Court of Inquiry (?) has yet to rule on the event.

My memory is not always correct (never mind rarely being 100% right even when it's generally accurate) and I don't have refs or urls for what I read so...

Caveat Emptor.

:argue:

Back
Top Bottom