Dive computer battery cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melloyello

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I purchased an older dive computer with a battery acid leak. The battery acid damaged the cover as shown. The cover presses against the o ring, creating a seal.

My concern: would the damage shown result in a failure of the seal at pressure? What's an easy fix?

Thanks, all. This community has been very helpful.

Attachments

• divecomputer.jpg
    divecomputer.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 66
One wont know until your at depth unfortunately?

Why would you buy this in the first place? Plenty of new ones out there for $200 and less this time of year.

The price was right :) It's an Oceanic Datamax Pro. I was looking for air integration with a large display.

I'd estiimate that the roughness and pits are up to 1mm deep. I'm not sure if it can be polished out.

Any recommended fillers or epoxies for this application?

In order to remove the pits, you need to remove enough material from the entire contact/seal surface to eliminate them. Can be tricky, but use high grit sandpaper placed on flat surface. Slowly rotate gnarly side until gone. The metal ring will tighten past the established mark, but thats ok.
Also, does this take that J battery? If so, I have a fix for you as well.

maybe start looking for another as a parts donor... a dead one may be found cheap

It takes the 6V J cell battery. I'll try lightly sanding as you suggested: 600 grit

Just picked up another working unit yesterday as well.

I got tired of buying J's that were pretty much dead out of the package. It's an odd battery today, so if someone stocks them, they sit on the shelf for a while.
I made a converter so I could use 2 2032 coin batteries that can be had anywhere.

Mine takes the 2024 which are around $5.00 each if you can secure locally which I could not, so Amazon sold a 5 pack for $5.99 delivered in two days:)

The J cells are still used in the medical devices industry. I found mine off ebay for $6 with a 2021 expiration date.

Can't seem to find the converter. How'd you make one to accept a coin battery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom