Dive computer/ internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not exactly Leisure Pro, and not a whole computer - but this is interesting -

Bought a Suunto Cobra at a local shop that was going out of business - (great price) and then ordered the quick-disconnect piece from DiveInn in Spain. The piece cost only 57% of what another LDS wanted. The going-out-of-business place was out of stock.

The same day, I ordered a little computer do-dad from a store about 40 miles away from where I live (far left coast of Canada - a LONG way from Spain).

Today - both packages arrived the same day. Halfway around the world, and 40 miles away. The shipping cost from DiveInn was actually LESS than from the local shop.

Go figure.

Love that internet.

I bought a Cobra and a Apeks ATX200 got all the manuals and were in english. Items were at my ft door in just a couple of days I'll buy from them again soon

Forgot to add. I got my ATX 200 for $379 Local dive shop wanted 650. My Cobra paid $415 dive shop was close to $700

Good evening,
I thought I would add to the discussion. Last week I ordered and received an Aeris 300g and a Scubapro s550 reg as well as a few small items. Got a great price on the items I ordered. Had they not been closed today I would have placed an order for a few more items for me and another 300G and Scubapro reg for my wife. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I placed the order on Tuesday of last week, got it on Friday and did an 85' deep dive as well as nine additional dives in a local quarry and had no problems. I wanted to be the test subject on this equipment before ordering the same for my wife, from Leisure Pro once again. This was my first order and it won't be the last.

Best Regards

Don Costanza

I was in the process of buying all new equipment for my wife and I . A daunting task, I may add. I fought the good fight between going with LP of a LDS. Well since the savings were over $1000, it wasn't too hard of a decision, just worried about the stuff not working.

Got in 3-4 days from LP.

Suunto computer (2 of em')
Mares BC
Sea Quest BD
Mares MR22 first and second stage (2 of em')
Apeks T20 Octo (2 of em')
Integerated Weights
Reg Bags

Show me some water!

Ryan

there's a lot of water.

Its salty.

Its full of fish.

Bring a speargun :D

LP has great prices and great service... thats been my experience. My fiance' ordered the wrong size wetsuit for me for Christmas and I called LP when I saw the size was a medium (well over the 14 day return policy also) and they said all I had to do was include a note and the return # on the box. I paid $8 for shipping/insurance and got the right size back in a little over a week. LP even paid for the return shipping even though it wasn't their fault we ordered the wrong size.

I just outfitted my wife and I with complete gear. The LDS offered a "special" price of $4,500, after giving me what they proclaimed a significant discount.

The best price on the internet for the same stuff was Leisure Pro ($3,100). Truthfully, if the LDS would have been closer, say $3,500, I would have bought there to support them. Suffice it to say, they did not feel like dropping the price and I did not feel like haggling.

The experience with Leisure Pro has been outstanding. I picked the wrong size on a few things, and the exchange was effortless and hassle-free.

Unless the LDS' change their business models and/or mindset, it seems to me that they will be gone. I understand we all need to keep our lights on, but a consumer cannot justify a $1,500 subsidy. The service is nice, but with the reviews and information available on the internet these days, it does not command the kind of price the stores currently demand. Just my thoughts :)

Well, after reading some of the comments on this posting, I feel much better now. I love to support my LDS here in town -- but I can't be responsible for the 50%+ markup in prices for general equipment, including accessories and dive computers just to keep my local buddy in business (he has a full-time job anyway!)

While I probably would never buy my Life Support gear (such as 1st/2nd stage, tanks, hoses, etc.) online due to servicing issues, I really didn't want to waste about 400-500 bucks simply to buy my new Uwatec Aladin AirZ computer through my LDS (I currently wear an Uwatec SmartPro (officially bought at full rate from my LDS and under warranty) as a primary so it will be relegated to my secondary on most dives.

I found the price a-ok on EBAY for a subsiderary of LeisurePro (ScubaEquipment I think) but I'm really bummed about no warranty. Here's my two cents worth:

I filed a complaint today with the Fed Trade Commission requesting an answer to my question that ScubaPro was failing to honor these warranties, especially relating to safety recall info and support, and might be illegal under section 1 of the Sherman Act of 1980. If you will research the case law on FAS (several Chrysler dealers that bonded together) who decided to refuse warranty service on autos that were bought online by non-authorized dealers outside the geographic area, the courts ruled that such actions were in violation of the section on free trade and price fixing. If the new cars were provided by the manufacturer to the non-authorized dealer, it was between those parties, not the consumer or external parties. Any warranty work normally covered from one dealer must apply to all dealers, even though online and outside of the geographical region of their contracted zone (with the manufacturer).

Think about it -- ScubaPro wants to keep the prices high and to lock out resale of used equipment. They allow the products to fall into the hands of LeisurePro and other Internet discounters but then try to penalize the consumer because a lower price is available outside of the LDS region. I actually had a non-SP vendor tell me that he knew that ScubaPro's management was intent on stopping online sales and was doing everything possible to force consumers to stop buying cheap (potentially illegal), rather than focusing on stopping non-authorized dealers from obtaining the products (legal). In fact, this person said that battery replacement (free for most LDS purchasers) can run as much as $150 for people like me and any upgrades of software, etc. would be so prohibitively expensive that we consumers would be taught a lesson never to buy via the Internet again. As a solid ScubaPro customer until today, I don't appreciate someone busting my chops simply because I want to save a few C-notes.

I love ScubaPro equipment -- but this practice of potential illegal price fixing and failure to notify users of registered products, especially keeping the serial number info in the database has got to stop. You simply can not require consumers to police themselves when products are freely available at non-authorized dealers at a lower rate. If the manufacturer allows those products in the hands of non-authorized dealers at a discount, it is not the responsibility of the wary consumer to keep up with the list of authorized dealers and lose the warranty. It smacks of price fixing, collusion to avoid warranty repairs that would otherwise be covered, and is a negligent safety hazard to those "illegal" persons that want to save a few bucks and register a product for safety bulletins but fail to receive them. Yes, I can check for recalls at other places, but why should I have to? What gives any manufacturer the right to force registered product users into paying a fixed rate for a product or risk safety issues because their registration wasn't accepted? This isn't something that can simply be placed as a disclaimer on the web page and be expected to pass legal recourse. No business can declare these kinds of self-imposed rules in the course of trade and expect not to receive some sort of pushback from consumers. I thought that the US was a free-market operating under principles of captialism.....

Keep in mind that I know ScubaPro is not the only manufacturer that does this....but reform has to start somewhere and usually starts with one person asking the infamous question, "WHY?"

I will keep everyone posted on any response that I may receive from the FTC but in the meantime, check to see if section 1 of the Sherman Act of 1980 prohibits this practice. Any information on this topic is appreciated! Any be sure to tell your ScubaPro buddies to complain to anyone who will listen, including ScubaPro management. One person's voice does little...but many voices are powerful!

My son and I have been buying equipment from Leisure Pro for years and never had any problems. Any issues that came up were handled quickly and they have even shipped equipment to us at a vacation resort.

Even though we service most of our own equipment, we have had no problems with their warranty or service. The savings alone has paid for the service for a long time to come.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom