Dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you use them to plan a dive? Yes.
Does most people ACTUALLY plan a dive? No, they just "ride the computer" not knowing wtf is going on..

EDIT: Let me rephraze that; they just ride the computer wich they dont even know how conservative or liberal is so they have no clue what kinda margins or lack of such they have in the numbers the computer spew at them.

Can you use them to plan a dive? Yes.
Does most people ACTUALLY plan a dive? No, they just "ride the computer" not knowing wtf is going on..

Define "ride the computer".

Don't they have to know how to use it to take a ride and drive it?

Do you have to know the complete mechanics of your auto to drive it?

I don't remember that being part of getting a driver's license.

You dont have to know jack **** to follow a computer. Jump in, it turn on, and off you go.
Theres more to what the computer does and why it does it and its even stated in their manual that you should know what youre doing before using them.

Just like knowing how to turn the key and press the accelerator is not all there is to drive a car.
I dont know about you, but when I took my drivers license there was certain things taught with regards to basic stuff with the car - like tires, brakes, oil and such things that can make your car break down or go off the road if you dont look after them..

You are right Tigerman, dive computers are very easy to use.

I agree proper training is necessary.

We have been using dive computers in our entry level training for over 15 years.

Yes, you need to know how to maintain the battery in your computer and rinse it after diving.

it would be foolish not to dive with one unless your very experienced and then I would have one as primary and another as a backup. Bottom timer is critical otherwise but can't imagine why one would not use one in this day and age. There are a lot of good ones for about 200$ as someone posted earlier.
Are you saying it would be foolish to dive tables until more experienced? This is how we were originally taught to dive, way back when. At least, I was, in 1995. Computers were mentioned but you didn't get your certification without being able to do tables and plan dives.
I dove tables for several years in places like Puget Sound, Cozumel and Hawaii. I remember for awhile that my bottom timer was a cheap, pink Timex sports watch, until it finally flooded.
I finally bought a cheap computer when I was done with internship and settled in to my first permanent duty station, making a little extra money. The computer was my last purchase to complete my first set of dive equipment.
I now dive with a computer but I could certainly go back to tables if needed.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Don't all dive computers have a dive plan mode?

All the ones we use do!
The first computer I bought ( not the one I'm using as my primary) has these metal contacts that need wet fingers and quite a bit of pressure to change from one screen to the next. It is NOT a user friendly piece of equipment on the surface. While I'm sure you could plan a dive using it, ( lost the manual about 12 years ago) I've never even tried. I just kept using tables to plan because the darn thing was too contrary. I used that computer for safety and to double check my brain.
Thankfully, more modern computers are easier to use and easier to plan dives on. They are also coming down in price, comparatively. I'm still waiting for something that's as user friendly as my IPAD. Not going to go for the IPhone in a housing idea, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom