Dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan for the max depth my gas allows me within recreational maximum and, as I go along, I check the average depth on my bottom timer.

With usage I have come to memorize the NDL's on my tables and adjust my bottom time accordingly. Its a no-brainer.

I concede that I rely on a computing device (bottom timer) to calculate my average depth. It still leaves me in control of my diving.

Before that I had to follow a square profile dive plan.

I haven't read through all of the pages of this thread
and probably won't on my phone.... But I plan and dive much
the same way Belmont describes. Tables and bottom timer
for me. Despite the Internet myth that nobody dives
tables anymore, I dive with 5 other divers that don't use
dive computers. Both approaches are fine....
it seems strange that so many forum users are astonished that
some divers still dive tables and a timer.

-mitch

Belmont,

What dive tables are you using?

IANTD's tables use Bühlmann ZH-L16 model. It is a very good model.

But aren't you meant to use max. depth instead of average depth when using this table?

I've been wondering that as well. I also use (and used to teach) IANTD tables.

Those tables were intended by IANTD mainly for technical dives IMHO. We use them for that purpose for square profile tech dives.

However, in a recreational environment, rarely going deeper than 80 feet, it was determined in my group that they could be used safely

in an average depth application.

My friends and I have done many hundred of rec dives this way without any issues.

So you & your friends just decided that it was OK to change the Rules of how the tables were meant to be used?

it would be foolish not to dive with one unless your very experienced and then I would have one as primary and another as a backup. Bottom timer is critical otherwise but can't imagine why one would not use one in this day and age. There are a lot of good ones for about 200$ as someone posted earlier.

Those tables were intended by IANTD mainly for technical dives IMHO. We use them for that purpose for square profile tech dives.

However, in a recreational environment, rarely going deeper than 80 feet, it was determined in my group that they could be used safely

in an average depth application.

My friends and I have done many hundred of rec dives this way without any issues.

Using tables according to guidelines.... no problem

Using computer according to guidelines.... no problem

Using tables as you see fit..... Well, that's not anything I would want to do and I certainly wouldn't be giving it out as advice.

Back
Top Bottom