Dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you & your friends just decided that it was OK to change the Rules of how the tables were meant to be used?

Sir, yes sir!

That's how man evolves. Scientists question theories (deco tables are based on theories and pretty imprecise at that) every day.

We don't pretend to be scientists but we operate within safe limits and our safety record speaks for itself.

I know that our way of doing things goes against the grain of those that make money on computer sales, sorry.

it would be foolish not to dive with one unless your very experienced and then I would have one as primary and another as a backup. Bottom timer is critical otherwise but can't imagine why one would not use one in this day and age. There are a lot of good ones for about 200$ as someone posted earlier.

There are lots of good Uwatec bottom timers out ther for $100.
The Xen is also a very nice option.
I don't dive one this day in age, because I honestly don't feel I need
a computer to give me NDL information to safely dive.
It makes no difference to me what people dive with, I just wanted to reply to
your question.

Using tables according to guidelines.... no problem

Using computer according to guidelines.... no problem

Using tables as you see fit..... Well, that's not anything I would want to do and I certainly wouldn't be giving it out as advice.
How hard would it be to compare their technique to simulations on V-planner, whatever computer is on their wrist at the time, or one of those PADI-wheel contrivances and ascertain that it was within the limits of an accepted and well-tested algorithm?

I assume he is talking about ratio deco, or some variant which amounts to the same thing. The key is to refer to it mystically, with as few details as possible, and thus get the uninitiated into an entertaining tizzy.

Sir, yes sir!

That's how man evolves. Scientists question theories (deco tables are based on theories and pretty imprecise at that) every day.

We don't pretend to be scientists but we operate within safe limits and our safety record speaks for itself.

I know that our way of doing things goes against the grain of those that make money on computer sales, sorry.
The problem is you have no science behind your method.

Are you going for the Darwin Award?

What I don't get is a decent digital depth gauge goes for around $200. For not much more you can get a dive computer that does so much more. The dive computer is adjusting for depth every 4 seconds and putting it into the algorithm.

How does Belmont do it??!!??

He's been rolling the dice and cheating death all this time with only his bottom timer to protect him from the swing of the scythe!:D

{Inject Humor} I'll bet you don't get Platinum dealer status without highly recommending computers. {end humor}.
Sorry....I couldn't resist. :rofl3:

-Mitch

Can you dive without a computer - Sure people have been doing it for years. I don't think you can convince anyone however that you're not "handicapping" yourself on repetitive dives.
Since we are on the Belize Forum, the plane that you take to get there relies heavily on computers, not only for flight but also for navigation.
Can you fly a plane without a computer - Sure they've been doing it for years.(Not sure about the present day jumbo jets).
If the Captain got on the intercom before the flight and said he was going to go old school that day and not use the computers for this flight, because he'd rather do the calculations in his head, I'd be getting off the plane.:)

There ARE a lot of dive computers out there to choose from.
Divers are lucky, actually....being a small sport, compared to others....we do have a lot of choices from different manufacturers.

-Mitch

Most current dive computers conduct a self test when you turn them on and are probably as reliable and more accurate and dependable that the depth gauge/ timer combo needed as an alternative.
The computer does two things that might be invaluable to a new diver. They monitor ascent speed and take human error out of the dive planning process.

Not quite. They more often than not take planning out of the process.
Not planning takes away the process itself and that is NOT a good idea.

Don't all dive computers have a dive plan mode?

All the ones we use do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom