Dive Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any estimate as to when it may be available?

No, will be at least a few months. Will likely be going to Asia after to discuss case design around October.

I am currently finishing up my last set of rotations for my M.D. here in the UK, so won't be getting anything done before I leave here for sure.

So... Is it coming? Absolutely... but do I have a timeline? No.

Sorry, wish I could give more and I know people are anxious for its release, but we won't release it until we are sure it is what we want. We refuse to release a computer when we aren't finished and 100% satisfied with it.

Last edited:
I'd buy a Puck Pro from Leisurepro. They are (or at least used to be) on sale for $170. If you outgrow it, or decide that you don't like it, then you can resell it on eBay. Used Puck Pros move on eBay for around $125, so your financial exposure is ~$55 once eBay gets its cut.

I have a Puck Pro and it gets the job done for me. I've have not had a single issue with it for the 26 or so dives I've carried it with me. I don't see why it wouldn't work for anybody staying within recreational limits. I have never pushed my no decompression limits, so I can't say if it is more or less conservative than others. It does have three options to choose from, so you can set the algorithm to be more conservative. It activates automatically in water, which is great for forgetful people like me. It also has a more durable screen than the regular Puck. I think it acquires data at a faster rate than the regular Puck. I've found the single button to be a non-issue, since I never have to touch it underwater.

Summary: plain old simple dive computer that holds its resale value.

FWIW a Puck Pro can do two gas mixes. I don't understand why. If you are doing that type of diving, you have outgrown your Puck.

FWIW a Puck Pro can do two gas mixes. I don't understand why. If you are doing that type of diving, you have outgrown your Puck.

Several computers do this so you can switch between mixes easily, especially on computers that may have difficult nitrox menus to negotiate. For example, if you have two tanks with slighty different mixes, you can go ahead and preset both, and then change mixes with a few presses for the next dive. Not really for tech diving, more a feature of convenience. One which computer develops have come up with two methods to deal with... either make the switch menu simple, or give the option of a second gas.

I think I saw a demo computer at BTS 2 years ago? Competing with your medical degree will certainly slow things up.

I think I saw a demo computer at BTS 2 years ago? Competing with your medical degree will certainly slow things up.

Probably was one of our initial prototypes there. As I have stated before, the hardware internals are complete and finalized, but we want to make some changes to case, and possibly some further software changes. Unfortunately we have a lot of things on our plate at Deep 6, and obviously as mentioned, a few outside as well that take precedence.

That being said, if anyone is in need of a computer at the current moment, I suggest looking at a few options mentioned in this thread, some of them I have dove with and they make a nice entry level computer. Ours is coming, but I would hate for someone to miss some good diving while waiting!

Exactly. Multi-gas support on a recreational computer is total Marketing fluff.

My rec computer supports up to 3 gases. I have never used that. I HAVE to know how to change the FO2 (i.e. the Nitrox %) on the computer, regardless. I do not ever HAVE to clutter my brain with remembering how to change to Gas 2. If I have a different mix for my second dive, I can just change the FO2 (a task I have to know how to do, regardless). It's something you do on the surface, during your surface interval, anyway. Who cares if it takes 30 seconds versus 10 seconds? Who cares if you accomplish the task at the time you analyze your tanks, or at the start of the day, or whenever, versus doing it during your SI? If you set Gas 1 to one FO2 and Gas 2 to a different FO2, you still are setting the FO2 twice. Why add the extra step of doing a gas switch during your SI?

The only remotely feasible scenario I've heard of for this is if you're somewhere that banks EAN32 and EAN36 and you are always diving one or the other. You could program those 2 gases in and then dive for a week where you only ever switch between the two. That might save you a few seconds between dives. But, it's a scenario I have never experienced (in my admittedly brief diving career). Everywhere I have gone just has one gas they bank, which is used for all their dives. E.g. in NC, both of the shops I have gotten fills from bank EAN30, which is what they use (or Air, for the non-Nitrox-certified) for all the dives they take people on. Hawaii and Mexico? The same. You want Nitrox? They have one choice banked (if they bank anythign). If you want anything else, it's a custom blend (if they can even do that). Actually, it was hard to get Nitrox on Oahu and the shop I found that offered it did not have it banked. In Kona, I think they had it banked.

One feature I Ike to see in a dive computer is what my Suunto Vyper had: a dive simulator, so you can see what the display looks like under water and when you get into deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom