Dive Computer - Scored!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccannon707

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had to share my good news. I have been looking at dive computers (my first) for a while on this site as well as scuba equipment sites and had narrowed it down to an Aeris XR-1 basic wrist model - $300+, now on sale for $149. I put it on my wish list at Leisurepro.com. But I was still hemming and hawing. Then my (non-diving) hubby asked me what I wanted for Xmas, and really, I don't need anything, but I finally said I'd been looking at dive computers. He was happy not to have to walk the mall guessing "what?" and said "Let's order".

That day I got the e-mail from Leisurepro: the Aeris XR-1 discontinued. S#%T! I go to Leisurepro's website and it's GONE. I looked at other sites, called Scubatoys and that same model was gone, discontinued. S#%T! I found it at Scuba.com, called and they said it's on back order but we'll be getting it in next week. I said "are you sure etc....?" and they were sure. So I placed the order. Same sale price but with shipping and tax as they are in CA (me too).

10 days before Xmas I get an e-mail from Scuba.com:

"The Aeris XR1 Air Computer in your order number 673### has been back-ordered from the manufacturer beyond 60 days. To meet your need by the Christmas deadline we will upgrade your purchase, at no additional cost to you, to the Aeris XR1-Nx Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer and ship your order today."

They sent me a $400+ computer for the same $149 price! I'm speechless! I had already decided NOT to spend the extra $$ on getting a Nitrox capable computer because, really, am I going to go there? But hey, I'll take it. Plus this one has back-lighting. All I really want is an easy to use computer that shows me my deco level. I use my old school SPG gauges and always go with dive masters. So there you go. Sometimes things work out in your favor. Check it out:

Aeris XR2 computer

I'm also pleased to see scuba.com supports Scuba Board. Thanks scuba.com! You have a customer for life! :kiss2:

PS: sometimes things are nice to have (re: see below)

I have an XR-1. It started giving trouble soon after the purchase and Aeris replaced it. The replacement lasted over ten years. Eventually, the replacement died also. It started out with partial display failure.

I purchased an XR-2. I like the "water activated" feature. The XR-1 did not have that feature.

What I wish it had: The readout that tells you how much air you will have at the surface if you end your dive "now".

In actuality, I really do not need it, but I thought it sounded like a good feature.

A word about Nitrox:

I personally look forward to using Nitrox when I dive. It seems to be refreshing and energizing. My lungs seem to really like breathing enriched oxygen. I would not rule it out for your future. There are not any good reasons for not using Nitrox.

Congratulations and kudos to scuba.com. I'll put them high on my list. Don't forget to give us a review after using.

I purchased an XR-2. I like the "water activated" feature. The XR-1 did not have that feature.

Well, My wife's XR-1 has the water activation feature but I have it turned off. I like to soak the computers after diving in my camera's rinse bucket and it shortened the battery life since it stayed on the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom