Dive computers for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dc4bs:
The third option I know of is the Abyss trimix computer. Again, 10 gasses but I don't know much about it beyond that.

I only know one person (aquaintence, not regular friend) who has one and he doesn't like it... As he said "I have never used it that I didn't bend it". I can't vouch for his diving skills as I have never actualy dove with him (other than being on the same boat on occation) but I'm prety sure he really doesn't understand how to use the computer properly.

actually the ABYSS was a customized version of the HS-Explorer and is no longer available..

I have owned the "new" Vr3 before OMS even had it and the Explorer from the beginning.. The Explorer had some problems but right now IMHO its by far the best option available, and allows the diver to choose either a Buhlman alg or RGBM..

I know the a review in the NAU mag recently blasted the explorer because on a trip a whole bunch had failures (last summer)... No product is without its problems, unfortunately the group that failed were all from a period when HS received a defective component (capacitor) that caused a bunch of units to fail and didn't show up until the units were used... obviously they were repaired FOC.

I talk with the distributor and manufacturer (I became good friends with them) on a regular basis and they havent had any failures at all since that batch..

I have hundreds of trimix dives on my units, sure I had a few failures (one computer got bashed around on the boat) another flooded but everything was still fixed under warranty..

If you friend is using it in RGBM mode he must do the deep stops or he will "bend" it.. and depending on the vintage the RGBM mode can be very agressive compared to a buhlman model.. I routinely do dives that the explorer clears 30 minutes or more before the VR3 on its most agressive setting..

nowaday the vr3 is relagated to my 3rd backup..

I use the explorer as my primary deco info, I use the Hammerhead interated deco computer set with a gf lo/hi of 20/80 and make sure this clears (the explorer wil alrady be clear)..., my cochran commander is stowed to do logging and with the proper settings comes up with profiles similiar to the others.. the VR3 is carried just to maintain the tissue data incase one of the other computers fails so I can use it on subsequent dives.. I stopped using it along time ago since the display is difficult to read (yes I have the BGM upgrade) and don't like the deep stop alg that is employed.

padiscubapro:
Actually, the ABYSS was a customized version of the HS-Explorer and is no longer available.

I have owned the "new" VR3 before OMS even had it and the Explorer from the beginning. The Explorer had some problems but right now IMHO it's by far the best option available, and allows the diver to choose either a Buhlman algorithm or RGBM.

I know the review in the NAUI mag recently blasted the explorer because on a trip a whole bunch had failures last summer. No product is without its problems, unfortunately the group that failed were all from a period when HS received a defective component (capacitor) that caused a bunch of units to fail and didn't show up until the units were used... obviously they were repaired FOC.

I talk with the distributor and manufacturer (I became good friends with them) on a regular basis and they haven't had any failures at all since that batch..

I have hundreds of trimix dives on my units. Sure, I had a few failures but everything was still fixed under warranty..

If your friend is using it in RGBM mode he must do the deep stops or he will "bend" it...and depending on the vintage, the RGBM mode can be very agressive compared to a buhlman model.. I routinely do dives that the explorer clears 30 minutes or more before the VR3 on its most agressive setting..

Nowadays the VR3 is relagated to my 3rd backup..

I use the explorer as my primary deco info, I use the Hammerhead integrated deco computer set with a gf lo/hi of 20/80 and make sure this clears (the explorer will already be clear)..., my Cochran commander is stowed to do logging and with the proper settings comes up with profiles similiar to the others.. the VR3 is carried just to maintain the tissue data in case one of the other computers fails so I can use it on subsequent dives.. I stopped using it along time ago since the display is difficult to read (yes I have the BGM upgrade) and don't like the deep stop algorithm that is employed in the VR3.

All,

I find that my experience mirrors PSP's. I had the VR3 "brick" before, then got the new VR3, and then a HS-Explorer.

I really like the "readability" of the HS, and the fact that when set to the proper algorithm, I have Dr. Wienke's incomparable RGBM to dive on. Since it matches the full-up iteration of the same algorithm in the latest GAP, and that matches the NAUI RGBM back-up tables, "Alles ist gut!"

BJD :anakinpod

roakey:
I'll give you a trip report on the HS Explorer in a couple weeks (I leave Saturday).

Roak

http://www.hs-eng.com/

You back yet? How did it work? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

Hydrospace uses rgbm models. Go to their site and download a the explorer program to see how it works. Someone I know who has a dive shop told me that he can actually download the HS Explorer software into a Suunto Vytec but I have to actually see it to believe it. I still use my BT for everything

IzzyTahil:
Hydrospace uses rgbm models. Go to their site and download a the explorer program to see how it works. Someone I know who has a dive shop told me that he can actually download the HS Explorer software into a Suunto Vytec but I have to actually see it to believe it. I still use my BT for everything

I downloaded the simulator but my desktop computer crapped out as soon as it hit the water. :wink:
Actually I just got the Explorer and I am trying to learn how to use it. I like the mix change prompt that my Vytec does not have. I will probably dive with both until I get used to the explorer.

cheers,

kuster500:
Hey I was looking into getting a good dive computer, what are your thoughts on different dive computers such as VR3s, diverite computers, etc. What do you have, how do you like it, and why? Thanks for your help.

I have used the Vr3 for 2 years and love the unit. I would suggest getting it.

I appreciate everyones help, I have decided to purchase a VR3. Thanks to everyone.

You might want to add a backup to your vr3.... uwatec puck type bottom timer.

I have been using the vr3 to depths past 300 feet with NO problems at altitude.
( I'm in fort collins )

I like the uwatec puck style bottom timer as a backup with diving tables.

just a thought.

bob

dc4bs:
I have the DiveRite He and it is very simple to program and use. Right out of the box, I had no trouble seting up everything. I did read the manual before diving it though, just to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

I know 2 people who have VR3s and both of them had problems with them when they first got them. One couldn't select gasses properly and was taken care of by customer support (I don't know the details on this as I wasn't there). The other persons arrived with the wrong code numbers to enable any feature beyond basic 1 gas nitrox. We had to use a satelite phone to call customer support from a livaboard to get the correct codes to enable everything properly. Customer support was VERY good and once the proper codes were entered, the VR3 worked just fine.

The He has 7 gasses (any air/nitrox/trimix for all gasses)
The VR3 has 10 gasses (any air/nitrox/trimix depending on what features are enabled by the unlock codes you purchase with the unit or at a later date)

Both require manualy selecting the new gas at switches (I have a Cochran Comander 2 gas nirox that you preset the switch depth and it 'assumes' you switched gasses wether you did or not...).

If you 'bend' the He, it will lock out for 48 hours (my budy forgot to switch gases on it on one of his first dives with it). The VR3 will continue to work in guage mode but will NOT display any deco information. It will instead display "use tables" untill the 'bend' issue is cleared up to its satisfaction.

The VR3 will do deeper stops a bit longer than the He.

The He seems to give a profile very similar to the V-Planner PC software we use to generate tables. For most of the ascent, the He is +/- a minute or less from the V-Planner tables we cut but then the He generaly wants a few extra minutes at the 10/15 foot stop once the V-Planner table is clear.

Both can download dive data to a PC:
HE uses a cable while the VR3 requires an Infrared port.

The VR3 has several features the He does not have:

It can display a graph of the dive profile onscreen (the He can "replay" the most recent dive - 'replays' all the dive info at about 5x speed)

it can (if purchased with the sensor connector on it) be used with a closed circuit rebreather or be used to analize tank gas directly with the proper (expensive) adapter.

it can play a game during long deco stops...

it can get firmware updates through the IR port (I'm not 100% sure about the He for this but I don't think it can update firmware like that)

------

The He is quite a bit less expensive than the VR3.

The VR3 only has support from the UK where it's made so it can be inconvenient if any issues arise that requires more than a phone call to fix.

------

The third option I know of is the Abyss trimix computer. Again, 10 gasses but I don't know much about it beyond that.

I only know one person (aquaintence, not regular friend) who has one and he doesn't like it... As he said "I have never used it that I didn't bend it". I can't vouch for his diving skills as I have never actualy dove with him (other than being on the same boat on occation) but I'm prety sure he really doesn't understand how to use the computer properly.

apeks quantum multi gas computer around $500 does it all even guage mode

One thing that has not been said about the VR3 is simply that it is one "damn tough" computer. I went to the company back when they were in their garage. I saw the method of creating the case. Basically, they take a block of aluminum, and mill away anything that doesn't look like a computer!!! Stone tough!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom