Dive Computers? HA!, Am I the last of the old timers????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabeachboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everybody:
How are you doing this morning.
I am sitting here and wondering if I am the last of the old time divers?
I have been diving for years, all over the world.
Deep dives (120+ ft) and shallow ones to.
I dont have a dive computer, and never used one either.
As I go on more and more boat dives, I see everyone with a dive computer.
I wonder how many people actually use them , or even know how to set and read them once wet.

Am I being wreckless, or is the whole dive computer thing a joke.
Something for the tech-nerds to look at while underwater????
Jaques Cousteau went for a whole life without a computer, and much deeper than I will ever go?
When I qualified in 1983 (hawaii) they told me foillow your smallest bubles up, safety stop at 15 feet, safety stop at 5 feet, then beer and BBQ time.
Please provide quality input and replys, not thrashings please.
I get enough of that from my four girlfriends, two ex wives, and new wife's mother!
hahahhahahhahhahahhha!!!!!

Party-on!

: Ron S.

I guess it can be sort of a gimmick at times, but I still find it an invaluable tool that I will never remove. I won't go deeper than 2m without my Suunto :wink:

It's easy to read, it helps you keep your situational awareness high and reduces the risk for making serious mistakes.

That said, if you're fine without, I doubt there is any problem with that ^^

I just got back from cozumel where my average dive time was 65 minutes and I was diving 4 dives a day for the first few days. I need a computer.

If I had been doing 60 minute 60 foot twice daily dives in St. Lucia or something I wouldn't need a computer at all.

A computer isn't a necessity for recreational diving. However, if you want the most bang for situations like 3 dives a day wall diving its a must-have.

Cousteau was a pioneer but one of his flaws was not adapting to new dive methods and technology. If you want a good example, watch his cave diving video footage. Yep, those are flares hes using.

You would have a hard time diving in Mexico or other vacation spots. When diving at new spots with dive charters they tell you max depth and max bottom time (which are usually out of the tables). You would have a hard time creating the complex multi-level profile required to determine that the dive was safe. So, you would likely need to come up early in order to make sure you are inside the tables, take your wheel diving and do the calculations under water (not fun), or you would need to rely on the dive masters computer which I don't think is a good idea and is not good dive practice particuarily in Mexico where I've seen some questionable dive masters.

So, a computer is a must have in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, do you check your dives with the tables before or after your dive? It seems from your post that you do not but I could be wrong...

Thanks,

JP

No, your not the last of the old timers what ever that may mean.

I have a computer but rarely use it, generally only when I need to interface with dive charter people who don't understand tables or trust them.

As to Cousteau, he was not an engineer, the adapting to new technology comment seems kind of odd since he sort of was a co-inventor of THE TECHNOLOGY. He was more of a showman and film person. Many of the things he did like the flares and "spacesuits" and lighted helmets was done to enhance his documentaries and to add a sense of flair, mystery and outerspace dramatics to his art. Art is the key word. As to technology, he and his divers did tend to stay wth simple robust systems (underneath the plastic fairings and weird stuff--the systems were fairly simple) rather than techno geekery so prevalent in recreational diving of today.

N

Like you, I started diving long before computers and can dive fine without the gizmos. Still, its a nice backup for the grey matter and it allows me longer dive times on multi-dive days. For the price and size, an entry level computer is a good replacement for a dive watch, When I stated, Octos were the gizmos (real divers buddy breath) and there were still guys running J valves in place of SPGs. Now they are standard and computers are heading there fast.

If you are on a vacation and just doing a few dives - no you don't need a computer.

If you are on a dive vacation - COCO View - a liveaboard - Bonaire - then I think you need one due to the multi level multi dive complexity!

There's actually a whole certification agency (GUE) which teaches the use of a bottom timer instead of dive computers. Quite a few newbie divers being taught that computers are expensive pieces of gear which don't do anything terribly magical...

to each their own, I guess.

If Computers were not what they are, they wouldn't be so popular.

I look at it like this.

The old pickup I drove to my dive classes in 1979 ran great. Got me everywhere I needed to go. If I owned it still, I'm sure it'd be running like a champ still and getting me everywhere I want to go.

But my new one is more comfortable. Helps me use less gas. Has lots of really nifty bells and whistles that make getting around town or down the highway a lot more convenient.

Is it necessary? Nope. Do I want the old one back. Not on your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom