Dive Con vs. Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all your imput here. You've all helped.

If it's true that I can get seperate insurance outside of my LDS then I most likely will go ahead with the DiveCon classes. The deal is I wouldn't be working for just one shop or one boat. Getting insurance as a part timer for 2 or 3 boats from each shop wouldn't fly I'm sure.

Now I just have to find out a bit more about private insurance and I"ll go ahead.

I just signed up to take the Dive Con course at my LDS. A few months after completing it I'll be taking the instructor class. It was a very good deal and our LDS is expanding and I can be a part of their team until I make the move to Hawaii.

I've got all the books and I'm pouring over them. Boy it's been years since I'd had to retain anything I've read. But I'm sure if I read it a hundred times or so I'll get it.

So if you can't be a SSI instructor without a store affiliation is it possible to switch agencies at the DiveCon/Divemaster rating without having to retake all the preceeding classes? There is only one nearby SSI shop in my area, what if it went crappy and I didn't want to be affiliated with THEM?

just a couple bubbles.........

woof

Al, I took both courses. The PADI course was good but the SSI was better. I went on through instructor with SSI so the insurance was never an issue with me. I have paid my own all along. As a Dive Con you can definately make more money teaching specialties and such. You can't do that as a DM.

seawolf, you can do crossover course with most agencies. Pay the bucks, meet their standards and get the card.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
I just signed up to take the Dive Con course at my LDS. A few months after completing it I'll be taking the instructor class. It was a very good deal and our LDS is expanding and I can be a part of their team until I make the move to Hawaii.

I've got all the books and I'm pouring over them. Boy it's been years since I'd had to retain anything I've read. But I'm sure if I read it a hundred times or so I'll get it.

I took the written test back in March. It isn't that tough, but be sure that you understand what they are asking for. There are questions on there designed to trip you up. I am told that the DiveCon course is actually more work than the instructor course. The DiveCon is supposed to be more about how much you know. The Instructor program is less concerned about how much and more concerned about how well you get across what you do know to students. Good Luck, Al!

Here is my opinion for what it is worth:
I chose PADI as my training agency as i wanted to be independant as an instructor as well as making myself marketable as we really never know what may happen in the future. We ahve one dive shop that certifies and mentors PADI instructors and hooks them into a questionable contract upon becoming a Dive Master, Assistant Inctructor or Instructor.
Once he hooks these excited individuals inot his contract they can not work for any one else within 200 miles. This is what I would consider a bad business practice.
Being afilliated with a dive shop or operation should be a question of choice or if you want to start your own shop. The PADI sytem is very specific on what DM's and Assitants can do. If you want more simply take the training and comittment and become an Instructor. Being a DM is a very respectful position and there is also a need for this service. As a PADI DM you can work where you want at that position.
There is absolutley nothing wrong with SSI or Naui or anyof the others, I chose PADI as a personal choice and it fits me well. There is some amount of education and financial investment involved, do what is best for you.
Noramlly on liveaboards and boat operations the DM's are the grunts that keep the wheels rolling! They assist the Instructors in classes, work on equipment, lead dives, watchover the entire operation and a lot more. It is a great thing to be in the right spot.

Patrick J. Wirtz PADI OW instructor

Aloha Patrick,

I grew up ~ 250 miles WSW of your location, and we were definitely behind the times compared to the Coasts.

From a drug, sex and rock & roll perspective, '76 was a lot like '69!

7 years difference, except that Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith were touring, not Jimi and Janis.

Nearly 7 years ago was when this thread last had activity. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom