Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like a real work session. I can't wait to see the changes in a few days. So far I have only done maybe 3 volunteer sessions at Aquarena, so they haven't entrusted me with anything too momentous. Not that I am envious of you for working so close the cutter boat!

Water Temp: 82 on the surface
Visibility: 8 - 10 feet
Thermocline: 29 feet

Did a total of 6 dives. Saturday & Sunday was the usual sized crowd, Monday very few people.

Perch nesting activity is decreasing. Lots of schools of baby fish in the vegetation.

Saw a huge albino catfish. He got about 2 feet from me before he swam the other way. Also saw 3 good sized turtles.

Thanks to the instructor who leaves free donuts at the snack shop :)

Any news on Twin Lakes south of Houston. Is it still considered a dive site?

Thanks
Tim

Spring Lake, San Marcos September 9th

Vis, 60'+
Temp, Same
Spring Flow, 220cfs+ and rising

Cream of Wheat is in great shape. The hump between it and Diversion has been cleared and the channel to the right is clear. Little Riverbed is very clean, almost no algae. Ossified Forrest has never looked better. All the transitions into/out of OF are clear.

Riverbed has a lot of algae and clumps of sunken Coontail. The sides are in good shape and the big cypress log at it's top is partially cleared (the landmark that points you to the deep passage into Ossified Forrest). Catfish Hotel needs additional cleaning.

Well the vis in Lake Travis is going away. Planned to go to 150' but only made it to 65' before I felt bubbles coming out of my ear when equalizing, so time to abort the dive.

surface - 50': is holding steady at about 2-3'
50'-70': 0 - 6", I got turned around since I could not read my compass right in front of my face and ended up hitting a rock. Did not see the rock until it was 3" from my face.
70'+: opens back up, I did not experience this, but my dive buddy did and he said it was crystal clear.

If you use the chains on Platform 1 or 3 as a guide you can make it through the murk layer. Good luck to all of the Swampers who are camping and diving at Windy Point this weekend.

LOL dont you hate it when you run into a rock while under water! haha Hopefully it is nice by tomorrow, if not it will still be a fun dive.

Friday, September 10
Lake level: 671.6
Max depth: 67 feet
Dove to the wrecks and towards the boat ramp, then back along the ledge at 48 feet to the barge and shallow sailboat.
Water temp: 65 feet-75 degrees
16 feet-83 degrees
Visability: down to 40 feet, 7-8 foot
45-60 feet, 3-4 foot
below 60 feet, at least 15 feet

Visited Cream o' Wheat and Ossified Forest

Temp 69 F
Vis >10 m
Bottom time: 71 mins
Divers: Cindy and James

Lots of turtle action

Thanks to Driftwood for cleaning out the veg - we could tell the difference!

Water Temp: 82 at the surface, thermocline at 31 feet
Visibility: about 10 feet away from the training areas

Did 2 dives, each 2 hours and 50 minutes. Wore 3mm wetsuit with 1mm hood.

Saw 4 turtles in the shallows. One was large, the other 3 were smaller (younger?), fast and feisty.

Water level has risen a few inches from the rain last week.

Lake Travis- wendsday sept 15
Wreck Alley.
Dropped down the line to the houseboat. Vis was really bad, around 2 or 3 ft. Followed the yellow rope around to "see" the sights. Noted that vis improved as depth decreased. Back at the houseboat, followed white rope down to the canyon. Once at the edge, the vis opened up to 15+ ft. Did a little tour of the wall then back to the boat.

Starnes island.
Anchored on the west end, dove the wall east at around 50 ft. Anything much below was getting pretty murky. Above that the vis was OK, around 6-8 ft. Good enough to find a pair of Ray Band sunglasses!

Back
Top Bottom