Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSSP, Terrell, Texas
June 19, 2011
Viz up to 20 feet in places
83 on surface down to 79 before thermocline
Thermocline at 20 feet

Did a couple dives today above the thermocline. Saw 5 turtles, one of which was a good sized snapper. There were lots of sunfish nests with active fry in the bottom, and a sunfish that looked like somebody literally took a bite out of it's head. Must have missed it's brain though because it was getting around unaffected. Also found a Zebco 50th anniversary rod and reel that was partially buried in the muck.

19 June 2011
Couple fun dives at Windy Point Private
Max depth 79 - viz was not bad! 8-10' and water temp at coldest was 66

On dive two, there was some fish feeding going on. We saw the biggest Carp (two of them!) that I have ever seen in person in my life! I was shocked at their size. Amazing. There was a huge catfish too. I made sure to keep my fingers out of sight!

Lots of happy divers yesterday, despite the long haul up the stairs. :cool2:

Fathers Day: June 19,2011 ;  12:00 pm.  
Lake Travis: Tom Hughs Park
Max depth: 71'
Max vis:  5'-6'  ;  very poor

From the shore out to 10' or so, the vis was basically nothing.  We then decided to surface swim out 20' or more past the haze and drop straight down, where vis opened up a few feet.  Dove all around the grottos, down to our max depth.  Vis had improved to maybe 5-6' at 50'-60'.   
Distinct thermocline at 60', and was comfortable in a 3 mil shorty.

Sunday, June 26, 2011
CSSP
Terrell, Texas
86 degrees at the surface, 79 near thermocline
15+ foot visibility away from training areas
thermocline at 20 feet

Did 3 dives, first 2 with a buddy who was working on buoyancy skills. The pond was busy with many divers and classes. Sunfish nests were plentiful with some of the biggest sunfish I've seen. Saw 1 medium sized turtle in the shallows, good sized bass, 2 catfish, 1 albino catfish, and a small catfish hanging out in a crack in the rock wall (he was cute with his little catfish whiskers). Foliage is thick, with big algae patches rising off the pond floor, leaving bare exposed areas (mostly in the shallows). Also saw a spot at 8 feet deep that looked like thick fog near the bottom. Stuck my hand in it and the foggy parts were cold.

June 26, 2011
North Park
Canyon Lake, TX
Viz 15 FT
Temp 67 F
Leading some AOW students visiting from Clear Lake on their deep/night dives. The surface was uncomfortably warm, with lots of boat traffic to boot. Gradual cooling down to 81 F at 30 FT with 2-3 FT viz. Then, an abrupt drop to 67 F below the thermocline at 43 FT, clearing to 15 FT viz. Lots of noise from boat traffic overhead made for a relaxing ascent @_@!

JUNE 30

constant water temperature of 72 degrees JUST FAbulous

Crystal clear spring water and lots and lots of fish

Wonderful 3 dive day

Great to be diving in TEXAS the summer of 2011

July 1st Bob Wentz 8 AM morning diving off Windy Point wall

Parked on far end of the park and dove the far grottos, big grottos

Ron joined me for Grotto diving at its best.

87 degrees down at depth water temp, can't beat that with about 8 foot viz a little milky all the way along the wall back to scoreboard.

Great single tanker to start the day off and get to work by 10:30 AM...

July 1st just after 10:30
Total run time 74 minutes
Max Depth 76fsw
Just missed Shawn and Ron
Swam about 25 minutes to the South deep and found the largest Pecan tree I've seen yet. Still no barbwire though. Ascended to 55' for the way back and found 15' viz easy. I had to look at my gauges twice thinking I was too shallow because I had plenty of ambient light and could see the entire side of the hill, left, right and up. Best viz I've seen all year.

Last edited:
June 30, 2011
Windy Pt Private
803pm entry
Max depth 69, 71 degrees at depth
Water keeps dropping as you all know. Viz pretty hazy first 10' then opens up to 10-15 around 50' then closed back down around 60' or so. Not near as good as last year at this time, but it seems to be improving. Surface temp is down right balmy now - 85-86!

Back
Top Bottom