Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday Bob Wentz State Park off of grotto wall on the point

Windy Point Public

Great day of diving, warm water great friends and performed the Bill O'Grady bagel eating stunt

water temp 89 degrees (warm)

max depth 78 feet

cruised the trees for a while big live oaks and lots of pecan trees to be found underwater with viz around 10 feet at that depth

saw Zincs cookie on some lines down there

Great day to dive

August 4 & 5, 2011
Flower Gardens aboard M/V Fling
1 to 2 foot seas the entire trip made for smooth sailing and great diving conditions
Dove west bank, east bank, one rig and Stetson bank (seven dives in all)
Vis was close to 100', water temps in the 80s
Depths starting around 60' and maximums about 80-90' (down line at the rig started at 34')
First dives on nitrox and air was the limiting factor instead of nitrogen buildup (plus I never felt tired)
Bonine (behind the counter at Wal Mart) kept any sea sickness at bay with no noticable side affects
Awesome trip - great diving, great food and the crew was top notch
One of our own (Zinc) was one of the DMs

I really like the way the crew ran the boat. They made sure everyone knew what to do to be safe but didn't baby anyone. I'd dive again with them in a heartbeat.
Thanks Fling crew!

Bob Wentz, Aug 28
There is some great diving to be had in Lake Travis right now. Down below 70 ft, the visibility is quite clear (> 20 ft) albeit dark. Four of us were diving yesterday and I could see everyone at once.
Water temperature is very comfortable at that depth in a shorty.
Unfortunately, the water is quite murky in the 30-60ft depth range where the grottos are.

Spring Lake, San Marcos, Sept 1 2011

Vis 60'+
Temp same
Spring Flow 94cfs

The big news is that the electric service to Aquarena will but terminated in a couple of weeks.

You have at most 2 weeks of diving from today before all diving in the lake is suspended.

We pull the web cam from Deep Hole for the last time today. Floated some coontail for the rest of the dive.

Bob Wentz Park, Lake Travis

Air: 90s, partly cloudy, breezy
Water: Max depth: 117 feet (That's as deep as I could find)
Max time: 50 minutes including 15 minutes of deco
Temp: 87 degrees at surface, 60 degrees at 117 feet
Visibility: cloud layer at 50-60 feet. Best vis is at least 12 feet at 70-80 feet. At max depth vis is about 6-7 feet.

Monday 9-5-11 8:30 am
Lake Travis, Bob Wentz
Divers – paulw
Air Temp - 73 (no joke) :shocked2:
Water Temp @ Surface – 85
Water Temp @ 65' - 77
Water Temp @ 80' - 77
Max Depth - 85'
Vis to 20' - 3'
Vis 20' to 65' - 3-5'
Vis 65’ to 80 - 15'
Dive Time - 58 min

Well believe it or not the air temp at 8:30 this morning was 73 and well it ain't called windy point for nothing, the wind was howling and the wave's stirred up the muck very nicely but at 70 ft the vis was about as far as your lights would allow! I was completely alone on the "point" and I could hear the fire support aircraft all around me but only saw them a couple of times. I dove the same spot Saturday and the vis was much nicer on the top but the same at depth.

Last edited:
Spring Lake, San Marcos

Vis:50'+
Temp: same
Spring Flow: low 90's cfs

Helped Eric with the last Diving for Science Class this weekend. You can still see a fair distance, but there is a lot of stuff in the water column.

Huge number of turtles this morning in Deep Hole and Arch Site. We saw a spotted gar on the run from the dock to Catfish Hotel. At the end of the dive we did a critter hunt for salamanders at Diversion and saw a couple nice sized ones.

Spring Lake, San Marcos

Vis: 50'+
Temp: Same
Spring Flow: 92cfs

Last report for 6 to 8 months. The last day Aquarena will be open to divers is September the 18th. All the transitions between dive sites are open and clear.

It felt strange, no one in the group I dive with on Thursdays was putting in a dive request for next week.

Aaron knows the community's interest in watching the submarine theaters being raised. I am hopeful that he will notify us when the contractors begin working on that portion of the project. The Training Area will be a very different place with their absence.

Friday Evening September 16, 2011
Barstow's
Run time 66 min
Max Depth 118
Surface temp 83F
Temp @depth 54F cold
So, Ian and I went out to fix the line. That's a lot of stairs and a few rocks just to get to the water. :( It was cold too. We found the end of the line and tied off. I swam 200-300 ft and didn't see the other side of the line. However, I might have seen the top of a stake. We think the line is just buried and needs new stakes. Scooters and dry suits would have helped. The line is cut at the last stake we found. I brought most of the cut line back with me :shakehead:

Just to add to the above.
1) a 5mm wetsuit is not a good choice for this dive. :shakehead: The bottom of Travis is unusually cold this year.A reminder no doubt of the unusually cold winter. Remember that? !
2)The line beyond where it is broken is almost certainly buried in the silt.
3) Fixxers reel is History. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom