Dive container for car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
good day,

I am looking for recommendations on small containers which I can carry my keys in during shore dives. Needs to be water proof to max rec depths. I really am not seeing much out there. Thank you in advance.

K

Thank you...i have some older dive lights, simple...I never even thought of using them. I have had some rental cars which came with rather large key fob but thanks again! My otter case was the best, but somehow I lost the 0-ring and when I spoke to the manufacturer, they discontinued, as only making phone cases now. That was the best case, the size of a pack of cigarettes and fit nicely in bcd pocket.

thanks again.

good day,

I am looking for recommendations on small containers which I can carry my keys in during shore dives. Needs to be water proof to max rec depths. I really am not seeing much out there. Thank you in advance.

K
If you have a 2" Trailer Hitch on your vehicle, you can buy a Keysafe for it to store your keys while you dive. They're about $70 and here's how they work. The unit is a steel box with a combination lock on one end that fits in your hitch. There's a combination release on one end. This turns your hitch into a safe. You can put your car keys, wallet and passport in the safe while you dive, or stow everything but the keys in your car (There are many floor mounted lock boxes for that purpose.), and just stash your car keys. When your dive is over, run the combination, grab your keys, and go.

Second on the dive light as a key container. You can also look at some of the smaller UW housing for older cameras. They are dirt cheap on ebay (especially true for the 35mm housing, just but the whole rig and like the light head, ditch the camera).

The other option (the one I use) is to get a blank non electric key cut (if available). I have mine on a simple cord necklace round my neck under my wetsuit while diving.

This allows you to open the door to retrieve the key which has previously been stashed somewhere safe inside the car before the alarm goes off. I get about 20 secs between door opening and the alarm which is plenty of time to retirve the key and press the central locking open button which deactivates the alarm.

Great suggestions. My POV is old, it has a key fob, but I can unlock mechanically. On many of the rental cars now they only option is remote entry and there is no key or key hole to unlock. In Bonaire, I took the keys with me as the trucks did not have electronic locks. But when in Florida diving Blue Heron Bridge, I am not too keen leaving the keys hidden under the car somewhere while out diving.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

k

The other option (the one I use) is to get a blank non electric key cut (if available). I have mine on a simple cord necklace round my neck under my wetsuit while diving.

This allows you to open the door to retrieve the key which has previously been stashed somewhere safe inside the car before the alarm goes off. I get about 20 secs between door opening and the alarm which is plenty of time to retirve the key and press the central locking open button which deactivates the alarm.
This is the way to do it. You guys that love to have 50 carabiners hooked to your wing harness now have a reason to have 51. :eyebrow: Just don't leave your keys or phone in plain view or you will be the next smash and grab statistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom