Dive during Red Tide? and effect on Lobsters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My understanding is that it is not good to be in the water during a red tide. Surfers seem to complain about nose and throat irritation after surfing in a red tide.

1) Is it safe to dive during or through a red tide?

2) Is it safe to catch/eat lobsters caught during a red tide?

I'm thinking that it wouldn't since lobsters don't eat algae, right? Aren't lobsters bottom feeders/scavengers eating carcasses of dead fish or whatever else is on the ocean bottom?

Thanks for any insights.

I believe that since lobsters are carnivores, and don't filter plankton from seawater, then they are okay to eat during red tide. Or blue tide.

Pink tide I'm not too sure of...

As far as diving thru a red tide, if it's bad then there's a lot of folks in trouble. :D As I understand it, aside from some possible eye, nose and respiratory system irritations (and also some pretty stinky dive gear afterwards), diving and swimming in red tide shouldn't cause too much of a problem. I think when the red tide plankton get aerosolized and you breathe it in you might start to get irritations. Maybe it would affect folks with asthma and other respiratory issues more than the rest of us.

I thought it was only shellfish, clams, oysters, and mussels that get poisoned.

ShakaZulu:
I thought it was only shellfish, clams, oysters, and mussels that get poisoned.

I was at the beach when a red tide came this year. I couldnt breath for 3 days it was awfull. Don't DO it.

mixdiver:
I was at the beach when a red tide came this year. I couldnt breath for 3 days it was awfull. Don't DO it.
I absolutely agree! Avoid the beach for at least 3 weeks after any red tide.

Especially all my favorite beaches where I often have a hard time finding parking.

Go home, stay home, sit on the couch, watch T.V., don't answer the phone, pull the covers over your head, buy more insurance, and stay out of MY OCEAN!!!!!!!

Thank you.
This public service announcement has been brought to you by LaJolla productions, because there is never ever enough parking. :D

:007: KillerC :maniac:

You are all cracking me up!

I understand that the red tides we see in the west coast are different from the red tides that are seen on the east coast. I seem to remember hearing something about health hazards when diving in the east coast variety, but I've never had any problem in a red tide in SoCal. Except, of course, for the bad vis and stinky gear. :wink:

I could be wrong about the east coast/west coast thing, but maybe someone more knowledgable will shed some light on this.

Christian

headhunter:
You are all cracking me up!

I understand that the red tides we see in the west coast are different from the red tides that are seen on the east coast. I seem to remember hearing something about health hazards when diving in the east coast variety, but I've never had any problem in a red tide in SoCal. Except, of course, for the bad vis and stinky gear.
03.gif

I could be wrong about the east coast/west coast thing, but maybe someone more knowledgable will shed some light on this.

Christian
The tiny whipping tails of the offending dinoflagellates seem to have an affinity for rubber products. Even one dive in red tide conditions could result in pin-hole ruptures of hp and lp hoses, disintegration of O rings, and neoprene breakdown.

For some as yet unknown reason, these microscopic drillers are also attracted to dry suit P-valves.

Really people...it's just not safe. Dive your swimming pools...do photo safaris chasing garden snails in your yard...take recreational chamber rides.... but for god's sake stay out of the ocean!!!!

Oh, and the bioluminescence during night dives depolarizes your optic nerves, and you'll be left with images of Britney Spears burned into your retinas.

You've been warned.

KillerC :maniac:

Because fear itself is just the beginning.

headhunter:
... but I've never had any problem in a red tide in SoCal.

Christian
Yeah, but look at you!

You started out green with a red stripe down the middle of your face!!

This could get worse, god forbid??? Oy!

KillerC

P.S. Lobsters contaminated by this virulent red tide will appear to have red chitinous shells, with multiple spike-shaped tumors around their heads and along their infected tails. These horrid things should not be consumed by humans under any circumstances. Please call me for immediate assistance, and a biohazard containment vehicle will come to your home to relieve you of the danger. Further testing and ultimate elimination will be conducted in our kitc....uhm, laboratory.

Call Now!!! 1-800-dums&*t

We are here to help you surrender to your fears. It really is the least we can do.

HBDiveGirl:
The tiny whipping tails of the offending dinoflagellates seem to have an affinity for rubber products. Even one dive in red tide conditions could result in pin-hole ruptures of hp and lp hoses, disintegration of O rings, and neoprene breakdown.

For some as yet unknown reason, these microscopic drillers are also attracted to dry suit P-valves.

Really people...it's just not safe. Dive your swimming pools...do photo safaris chasing garden snails in your yard...take recreational chamber rides.... but for god's sake stay out of the ocean!!!!

Oh, and the bioluminescence during night dives depolarizes your optic nerves, and you'll be left with images of Britney Spears burned into your retinas.

You've been warned.

KillerC :maniac:

Because fear itself is just the beginning.

AAAAHHHH!!!! I'm sooooo scared now. Thanks for the GREAT warning on the pin hole ruptures - hahaha. I will definitely have to tell ALL my newbie dive buddies that red tides are NOT dangerous and to definitely jump into the water. That way all their gear will get so messed up they won't be able to dive anymore. This will definitely shrink the dive population so you can have more parking spaces. hahahaha

hhhmmmmm - is having Britney Spears burned into your retinas such a bad thing? I think I'd be in heaven - hahaha NOT!!!

rypark1999:
AAAAHHHH!!!! I'm sooooo scared now. Thanks for the GREAT warning on the pin hole ruptures - hahaha. I will definitely have to tell ALL my newbie dive buddies that red tides are NOT dangerous and to definitely jump into the water. That way all their gear will get so messed up they won't be able to dive anymore. This will definitely shrink the dive population so you can have more parking spaces. hahahaha

hhhmmmmm - is having Britney Spears burned into your retinas such a bad thing? I think I'd be in heaven - hahaha NOT!!!
NOW you're getting into the spirit of this, rypark. There exist not a single dive condition that cannot provide hours of fun. Perspective is everything!! Just ask the PHDs!!!:god:

And if you look deep within your heart, to find your most honest wants and desires... your required path and actions become clear....
...guess that means you'll be night-diving the biolum red-tide early and often, eh? :wink:

Dive on!!! :jump013:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom