Dive during Red Tide? and effect on Lobsters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um - hate to reveal my total ignorance here - but there was a lot of joking in the last several posts and I'm not sure I've figured out what was true and what was a joke.

Do they really affect your hoses/gear? (sounds like yes?)
Do they really infect the lobsters? (sounds like no?)

I probably won't ever be near a red tide - but I'd like to know anyway.

Thanks!

Kaiser442:
Um - hate to reveal my total ignorance here - but there was a lot of joking in the last several posts and I'm not sure I've figured out what was true and what was a joke.

Thanks!
No Worries, Kaiser. Most red-tides in SoCal are harmless...as are the divers. It all rinses off your gear, no damage, just stinky.

Bugs are supposed to be spikey and red...as are....no, that doesn't work.

We just like to make a lot o' noise
03.gif
, and have fun no matter what the conditions.

KillerSweetC
Conflicted at pressure.

headhunter:
I seem to remember hearing something about health hazards when diving in the east coast variety, but I've never had any problem in a red tide in SoCal. Except, of course, for the bad vis and stinky gear. :wink:

I could be wrong about the east coast/west coast thing, but maybe someone more knowledgable will shed some light on this.

Christian

Yo man! Doncha know it's all about the west coast tip mah shizzle! We be da baddest red tide YO! Ain't no foo escapin' this shiznit!

:f: :f: :f:

Kaiser442:

Thanks!

It's all harmless underwater. Your gear may need more washing or it will stink.

Shore dives can be more challenging, because the smell can really affect some people and they'll have trouble breathing. Red Tides have a huge amount of dead biology, from the plankton itself to other organisms killed by lack of oxygen. The decay of this biological matter is what causes the smell, and as I and others have said, it can cause problems for some people breathing it in on the beach.

You're actually diving in under the water should not be affected.

HBDiveGirl:
And if you look deep within your heart, to find your most honest wants and desires... your required path and actions become clear....
...guess that means you'll be night-diving the biolum red-tide early and often, eh? :wink:

Dive on!!! :jump013:

:11: Yeah! you caught me red handed ... ahem! "tided"... BRITNEY ALL THE WAY!!!!! :07:

HBDiveGirl:
No Worries, Kaiser. Most red-tides in SoCal are harmless...as are the divers. It all rinses off your gear, no damage, just stinky.

Bugs are supposed to be spikey and red...as are....no, that doesn't work.

We just like to make a lot o' noise
03.gif
, and have fun no matter what the conditions.

KillerSweetC
Conflicted at pressure.

:lol: :1poke: :no It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. :17: :57:

you can eat lobster during red tide because they have a gland in them that filters out toxins and other junk. so if you eat the body you're supposed to stay away from the green organs. and in california its more of a brown tide because its an algae bloom rather than plankton. but yeah just stay away from the green stuff

headhunter:
You are all cracking me up!

I understand that the red tides we see in the west coast are different from the red tides that are seen on the east coast. ...Christian
I think this is due to east coast algae getting all the sun in the morning, and the west coast algae getting all the sun in evening.

Or it could be a blue state/red state thing.

And the coriolanus effect should never be discounted.

Red Tide at lunch...divers' head crunch :banghead:

Red Tide at night...lobsters' delight:chicken:

"Why think? That's what rules of thumb are for!" :D

undrwater:
Can a red tide poke my eye out?
...only if you run underwater while holding a muy-macho knife (unsheathed) and trip over a 9 lb lobster. This may be the real reason for certain training programs preferring safety shears as a cutting tool... 'cause you know how bad those red tides can get in cave divingeyebrow .

Next: Are cave-lobsters safe to eat during subterranean red tides?

Stay tuned....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom