dive equipment trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Figured since you guys have a lot of equipment this is where this question belongs.
How much is a custom built equipment trailer worth?
My reason: I am considering building a trailer (aluminum) to pull behind a light vehicle. I want to have a compressor, tank storage, wet suit storage, tools, spare equipment, fresh water tank, etc. I have built custom trailer in the past but never for diving. I would love any feedback and ideas. I would really like to know if it would cost me less to just have a trailer company build it to my specs. Of course, building things is another hobby of mine.
I am thinking about 12' by 6' double axle, electric brakes, awnings, and well rust proofed.

SamDiver14:
Figured since you guys have a lot of equipment this is where this question belongs.
How much is a custom built equipment trailer worth?
My reason: I am considering building a trailer (aluminum) to pull behind a light vehicle. I want to have a compressor, tank storage, wet suit storage, tools, spare equipment, fresh water tank, etc. I have built custom trailer in the past but never for diving. I would love any feedback and ideas. I would really like to know if it would cost me less to just have a trailer company build it to my specs. Of course, building things is another hobby of mine.
I am thinking about 12' by 6' double axle, electric brakes, awnings, and well rust proofed.

A quick search or look in the Do It Yourself forum here should get you a look at the previous posts about dive trailers.

Good luck.
Dave

I tried many searches and couldn't turn up anything in the DIY section. Could you recommend a particular thread?

The trailer and gear you are talking about is not going to be light. We are talking 5000 lbs or more.
Are you sure your tow vehicle is up to it?
A full size van or pickup truck is probably a good choice, anything smaller is not so good.

I have a trailer that would make a fair conversion. I build a box (plywood and stud lumber) on top of a 20', 10,000 lb utility trailer. It has two 6000 lb axles with electric brakes.
I tow it with a Ford E-150 but a bigger van would be better.

well, light of course is a matter of personal definition, but I would like something that anyone could tow, so rather light is accurate, minivan maybe. I haven't figured the weight, heck I haven't even drawn up the design yet. But I was figuring on a aluminum square tubing and alum. sheeting on the sides, not to mention that I was going to try and build as much as possible out of aluminum for rust reasons. But you are probably right even then there would still probably be too much weight, a 6' by 8' would probably be as large as could be pulled by light vehicle. Of course, I can pull anything, I got me an F-350 super duty. But I would rather not have to put the fuel in it. Although with the current gas prices I might do better in the diesel. I also kind of lucked out cause my dad will help me and he is a welding instructor and can weld alum better than anybody. So still kicking this idea around. whatcha think?

I assume that there is no rush and you can build anything you want.

Start by making a list of what you want to carry in the trailer.
Tanks
Compressor
Generator (if wanted)
Water tank (for rinse)
Tools
Anything else you can think of that you want along.

Add up the weight of the 'stuff'.
Multiply by at least 1.5 for growth.
Figure how much trailer is needed to carry the above total.
Figure out your GVW.

Now you know how much tow vehicle you need.

Almost anything can pull 2000#
Lots of things will pull 3500# You can probably build and equip a fairly nice rig at 3500#
Me, I like to overkill so I would probably end up filling my trailer at 10K# :D

Nothing like adding up the numbers.

You could just buy my trailer and load it up, pull it with the 350 and use the money and time saved on the trailer to go diving. :D

There is a very good chance that is exactly what I will do, just all this thinking is in my nature. Well I like building stuff pretty well too but when it comes to the opportunity to dive I get sort of dizzy and I notice a puddle around my feet where all of the good sense just ran right out of my head, then I go dive.
Sam

We have a nice Dive Trailer We use down here...just remember to leave room for Dual Ocean size Igloo Coolers..up front..Drinks..stuff to Bar-B-Que..and Fish storage..

armyscuba:
We have a nice Dive Trailer We use down here...just remember to leave room for Dual Ocean size Igloo Coolers..up front..Drinks..stuff to Bar-B-Que..and Fish storage..

Like the Wings of Fire, now we are talking :11ztongue

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom