Dive Excursion in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just returned from 4 days of diving in Curcao. We can offer the following. We take into account what seems to be your limited diving experience, and so will discuss only shallow dives (less than 60'), and also the fact that you have only one day and are with people who want to "beach out" instead of dive. You should be fine, as the water is warm, vis is fantastic, there are rarely currents at the sites (and if so you just drift along and the current is usually moderate and no problem to swim against), and the best reefs can be found in usually in 30-50 feet. Some of these dives are by boat and I don't know if they will fit in your schedule, but, anyway, here goes:

For your plans, the #1 choice would be Porta Mari: This was our favorite shore dive and probably our overall favorite because it combines incredible deep and shallow reefs. For you, the shallow reef and area around the "valley" all the way out to the drop-off and down to 60" would be a perfect choice. There is a facility on site for tanks that also offers guided dives (very nice, not at all necessary, but worth it because they know where the good critters are) and the reef is an easy swim out. The coral here is extremely healthy and there is a huge variety. You could easily do 2-3 dives here on different areas of the reef. The beach is lovely, nicely developed with chairs, shady thatched huts, a decent restaurant and bar, a good breeze, very nicely developed. If you have friends who want to "beach out" while you dive, this is, really, the only thing you should do. It is not far from the dock (maybe 30 mins by cab or car). The dive is colorful, comfortable, loaded with tropical fish, and just excellent.

WATAMULA; This was one of the best caribbean reef dives we have ever done. The shallow reef (best between 30 and 50 feet) is absolutely amazing, healthy, lots of huge coral formations, good fish life. You can ohly go by boat. If there is an operator that will take you, we absolutely recommend that you do this dive. Usually the trip will involve a second dive as well. It will be a multi-hour experience, though, and you will not get any "beach time" if you make this dive. However, operators only do this dive a few days in the week so you need to check on both availability and time.

Mustroom Forest: A great dive, by boat only. There is no sign of the oil spill. Ocean Encounters used the spill as the reason for not running the trip last week, but there must be some other reason because there was no sign of the oil, anywhere, either on the reef or along the shore. We had to find a small local operator with a 13' boston whaler to take us out. Given you limited experience that might not suit you. There has been quite a bit of coral bleaching at the mushroom forest and some algea growth in many areas. However, the formations are extremely interesting and there is still a lot of healthy coral around.

Playa Lagun: Another excellent dive, but not quite as much coral as Porto Mari. We did see turtles at Lagun. There is no operator here for tanks and you would have to bring your own in a car. The beach is nice, with a restaurant, but the facilities are not at nice as Porto Mari. It is also significantly farther from town than Porto Mari. I would not recommend this over Porto Mari for your schedule.

The dolphin dive might be a good option, but we did not do that and so cannot comment on it.

I believe you would love Porto Mari. If you wanted to combine it with the dolphin dive that might make an incredible day!

Guy

Playa Lagun: Another excellent dive, but not quite as much coral as Porto Mari. We did see turtles at Lagun. There is no operator here for tanks and you would have to bring your own in a car. The beach is nice, with a restaurant, but the facilities are not at nice as Porto Mari. It is also significantly farther from town than Porto Mari. I would not recommend this over Porto Mari for your schedule.
Actually there is - unless it's recently closed. You drove by it as you turned off to go to the beach. It's not the beach operator.
Welcome to Discover Diving & Restaurant, Playa Lagun, Curaçao Discoverdiving & Restaurant -> Home  
We rented tanks from them for several days in that area as we stayed in Lagun.

The dolphin dive might be a good option, but we did not do that and so cannot comment on it.
The Dolphin Dive is at 8:30. Given the cruise ship's 8AM arrival unless they're early, that's not likely possible. It's about 4 miles to Ocean Encounters from the cruise area - from the Otrabunda side where the ship docks. A little shorter if they go over to the Punda side via a water shuttle/the bridge but I have no idea how long that takes when the ships are in port. Or cab availability. Plus they still have to briefly go thru Curacao customs.

Ocean Encounters left right on time also since they needed the boat back for the 10:30 dive.

I agree with your other choices though, Go West Diving does Watamula Thursday afternoon as a 1 tank at 2PM. Porto Mari would be better for the other non-divers as well as being a good dive.

Diversteve you are correct. I remember seeing the restaurant as we drove in but we dove at twilight and everything was closed so we did not see the dive operation.

Still, for a shore dive with non-divers and limited to basically one dive site, I think Porto Mari is a better choice because it is closer to town and, I thought, had better facilities, a larger beach, and a much better reef.

Best of all, ditch the non-divers and see if you can get a boat to Watamula. That requires advance plannning, however. Go West was a top flight operation when we did the trip but getting from the ship to Go West will need planning and a rental car for the day.

I believe the mushroom forest can be done from shore also. That is what I have heard.
How did u find a local operator to take you out? I am going the ond of Nov and would like to find someone like that. Thanks

Still, for a shore dive with non-divers and limited to basically one dive site, I think Porto Mari is a better choice because it is closer to town and, I thought, had better facilities, a larger beach, and a much better reef.
I agree...

---------- Post Merged at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:40 PM ----------

I believe the mushroom forest can be done from shore also. That is what I have heard.
It can but the climb back up the cliff is a killer...One of the differences between the ABC's is that the West side of Curacao is pretty elevated in places. In Lagun nearby there was a 60' drop from our patio to the water. It's really a boat dive...http://www.curacao-actief.com/index.php?id=3&dl_id=11

Mushroom Forest is also a boat dive and this can be accomplished out of Sta. Cruz Beach. Captain Goodlife can drop you off and pick you up after the dive. At Mushroom Forest, you can dive into the Blue Room, both in one dive. From Sta. Cruz Beach, Mushroom Forest is a 2 minute boat ride.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/417387-mushroom-forest-watamula-alice-wonderland-how-dive-all-one-day.html#post6308587

There are a lot of nice dive spots on the island. And it depends on what your wishes are. A lot of travelling to the divespot you may consider a lost of time due to the short time on the island. CURious2DIVE only dives in small groups and they have a pick up service. No bother with a taxi.
Nice spots like the tugboat (a wreck, a wall, deep, shallow and lots of sealife and corals) or Directorsbay with a garden of corals, gorgonians and fish. Or Double reef, Blue Bay, Vaersenbay or Snakebay. It can all be done but not is one day.
If you need to know more about the dive operators on the island take a look at the review sites Tripadvisor or Scubadvisor.

You cant go wrong with curious2dive. I am not slamming dive bus they are great as well. Wife and I really like Hans Pleij and how he does business. He will pick you up and drop you off. In fact one of the nicer reefs is right by the water desalination plant. depending on viz and conditions Hans will get you to the best spot. PM me and I can give you a little more information. I would not use OE. Have a blast.

Actually, there is Cas Abou. I prefer that site to Porto Marie. Seahorses (7) on the left side. Overall, I think the reef at Cas Abou is much better than Poro Marie.

Porto Marie is deep along the left side, the top is at least 50 feet deep, so you can really only do one shallow dive there. Cas Abou is the same depth either direction you go, so two dives in one. And Seahorses on the left dive.

The beach at Cas Abou is not as nice as Porto Marie, but is still a nice beach. They filmed the Batchelorette at Cas Abou beach. Restaurant is not as nice, but good none the less. Cas Abou dive shop is right on the beach, closer to the water than Porto Marie, but neither walk is real long.

Parking is much better at Cas Abou.

Cas Abou for me.

Last edited:
You could visit us at Kokomo beach and Vaersenbaai. We have an exellent house reef, left and right.
You don't have to pay anything in advance. We do not cancel, the sea is always right in front of us....

Cruzbound, you specifically mentioned the west. And I can see why. Why don't you check with Go West? They have their base at Play Kalki (also a great shoredive), in Westpunt at the western tip of the island. They do boatdives to WataMula all the time (only a short boatride from their place), and they can help you make arrangements to get there from the cruise dock.
GO WEST Diving - EN - Home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom