Dive flag for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry if this is a dumb question. We will be on a very remote island in the Bahamas (Andros) which we've never been to before and plan to do alot of snorkeling. Would it be wise to use a dive flag?

I'm asking because we went to Long Island (Bahamas) last summer and were snorkeling at a remote location when suddenly we were joined by a motor boat bringing snorkelers from one of the only "resorts" on the island. My husband said he heard the motor in time for them to see us but I did not and was a little surprised and worried that they would not see us.

Not a dumb question at all, and a good idea to do so even in remote spots...Snorkelers are hard to see even on clear days and calm waters........

Yeah, it's probably a good idea. I've never used one in over 40 years of snorkelling except in one spot where it was required. Figuring I'm on the surface a lot and can see/hear boats--only dive to bottom for a shell. I suppose a really fast boat could come around in those 10-15 seconds... Diving I use the flag where it is required and if not required, I use my judgement. In Florida or NY, etc. I almost always use it. Never here in Nova Scotia as I may see 2 boats all summer, except at the training sites, where we of course have a float to mark the spot.

Making your self secure and safe is one of the most important thing in diving so your question is not bad. Yes for me its a good idea that will keep you safe when you are snorkeling. And it is not a bad question at all actually it also help me and other like me that new from diving, it will help us and it will keep us safe while we are snorkeling in beach or in a diving spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom