Dive flag markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How is one supposed to mark their dive flag with their lobster license? I had this info before and for the life of me I can not find it now. Also, has anyone made their own dive flag rigs out of a lobster buoy? I figure since I need the buoy for traps maybe i could just attach a flat to it and save the money on a specialized dive flag and float. Am I over simplizing this (i.e., just being too damned cheap)?

Thanks

I think you'd be fine making your own flag buoy out of a lobster trap float if you want to. As far as numbering the flag, I usually do it right down the center of the white strip in magic marker. You can really only read it from one side, but so what?

I will like to ask you guys what happen when two or more divers are using the same flag? do you have to cover the all flag with numbers? one will do the job?

Rafael:
I will like to ask you guys what happen when two or more divers are using the same flag? do you have to cover the all flag with numbers? one will do the job?
Just put the number of the guy who actually owns the float. So long as everyone else is licenced and has their numbers on their tanks the EP won't bust you on that. Unless you have a bag of shorts and have pissed them off. Of course, if you do, you deserve it and have it coming.)
PTN

MSilvia:
As far as numbering the flag, I usually do it right down the center of the white strip in magic marker. You can really only read it from one side, but so what?

I do the same

I don't think I've seen too many divers actually comply with this rule, but you're supposed to list every diver's number. I've never been checked or even seen the EP in action, so I have no idea whether it's also enforced.

Divers must display their assigned number upon their air tank and a floating marker (upright single panel, at least 12" x 12", white background, black numerals at least 3" high, 1/2" in thickness or width of line on both sides of the marker). A group of divers may use only one floating marker listing the license number of each diver in the group.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/lobsters.htm#lob_gear

So long as you haven't given them a reason to be pissed at you, (i.e. shorts) you won't get a hard time. This is from the guy who lives across the street from me, who just happens to be an EPO.
Paul

ClassAction:
I don't think I've seen too many divers actually comply with this rule, but you're supposed to list every diver's number. I've never been checked or even seen the EP in action, so I have no idea whether it's also enforced.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/lobsters.htm#lob_gear

I've never heard of this one being enforced. Likely because they've realized it's stupid.
You'd end up having a flag for every variation of the group:

spam,spam,spam,eggs, spam
spam,spam,spam,ham,spam
spam,toast,spam,eggs,spam

well, you get the picture...

yak:
I've never heard of this one being enforced. Likely because they've realized it's stupid.
You'd end up having a flag for every variation of the group:

spam,spam,spam,eggs, spam
spam,spam,spam,ham,spam
spam,toast,spam,eggs,spam

well, you get the picture...

"There is something wrong with this lobster I just bought."

"Oh no. He's just sleeping."

Pdive:

Yes, you can make your own flag float. No, you won't be too cheap. Back in the day, my father made his own float with an old truck tire inner tube, a basket/crate and a flag. You can write your number in black permanent marker across the white strip or get a peice of light-colored plastic, write or put sticky numbers on it and attached it separately to your flag pole. Although, that seems like a lot of work.

Also, I've never seen the numbers regs enforced(on flag or tank), but if you've got one other thing wrong, the EPOs and harbormasters with probably see how many other regs you're violating while they've gotcha.

One last thing, it's impractical and unnecessary for everyone to put their numbers on the flag or for everyone to carry a separate flag. But, if you've been on a charter boat around here, the captain will fly one flag from the boat and note every lobster diver's number on a dry erase board.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom