Dive flag markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan:
Pdive:

Yes, you can make your own flag float. No, you won't be too cheap. Back in the day, my father made his own float with an old truck tire inner tube, a basket/crate and a flag. You can write your number in black permanent marker across the white strip or get a peice of light-colored plastic, write or put sticky numbers on it and attached it separately to your flag pole. Although, that seems like a lot of work.

Also, I've never seen the numbers regs enforced(on flag or tank), but if you've got one other thing wrong, the EPOs and harbormasters with probably see how many other regs you're violating while they've gotcha.

One last thing, it's impractical and unnecessary for everyone to put their numbers on the flag or for everyone to carry a separate flag. But, if you've been on a charter boat around here, the captain will fly one flag from the boat and note every lobster diver's number on a dry erase board.

LobstaMan
HEY!!!!! My float IS a $3 tire tube wrapped around a plastic crate from some milk company. Are you saying I'm cheap??? Well, OK....I made it because I didn't want to give my LDS whatever ridiculous amount of money they wanted for a manufactured float/flag. But that doesn't make me a bad person......does it?

Rafael:
I will like to ask you guys what happen when two or more divers are using the same flag? do you have to cover the all flag with numbers? one will do the job?

Technically all divers under the flag need to have their numbers displayed, but the EPO guys are happy to just have people surface somewhere near the flag. Technically, you are also supposed to have your numbers on your tank (perhaps the dumbest rule ever), but I never have, and have never been bothered the times I've been carded and checked.

There's nothing wrong with being frugal or cheap...just don't be in the men's room every time it's your turn to buy a round.:wink:

LobstaMan

Thanks for all the input. My Frankenfloat is coming along nicely. Its a 5X11 lobster buoy w/ a 3' plastic stick through it. It has a swivel on the end. To turn it into a dive float I used a couple of hose clamps to attach one of those 4' long yellow sticks that you can get a Home Depot for marking the end of your driveway (my buddy uses one for a tickle stick). I brought it to Good Harbor for its sea trials but the thing floats horizonally in the water so I figure I can use a spring clip on the end of it to hold a weight and attach the line as well.
I had originally bought the buoy in anticipation of a friend getting a boat so I could put out some pots. Since I already had it I figured why spend the $30-40 on an similar set up at my LDS. Still not sure how i'll attach the flag to the stick.

Thanks again.

Regards,

MacGyver :wink:

Just use zip ties thru the flag grommets to attach it to the pole.

Just wanted to point out that the cited regulation that calls for 12"x12" sign, etc., is a commercial regulation. I didn't see any similar requirement in the non-commercial regs.

I found it... from http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/publications/informational.htm#lob_abs

From Abstracts of MarineFisheries Regulations for Scuba Divers

GEAR MARKING - Divers must display their assigned number upon their air tank and a floating marker (upright single panel, at least 12" x 12", white background, black numerals at least 3" high, ½" in thickness or width of line on both sides of the marker). A group of divers may use only one floating marker listing the license number of each diver in the group.

and

From Abstract of the MarineFisheries Commercial & Recreational Lobster Fishery Regulations

Divers must display their assigned number upon their air tank and a floating marker (upright single panel, at least 12" x 12", white background, black numerals at least 3" high, ½" in thickness or width of line on both sides of the marker). A group of divers may use only one floating marker listing the license number of each diver in the group.

BobHaze101:
Just wanted to point out that the cited regulation that calls for 12"x12" sign, etc., is a commercial regulation. I didn't see any similar requirement in the non-commercial regs.

Good catch. The link that I posted earlier was to the Marine Disheries website, which is a little misleading. The law/reg DOES apply to recreational divers. Gonna post the some info below for the benefit of future generations who are confused by this silly law:

First, the statute:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/130-38a.htm

Chapter 130: Section 38A. Display of license number and buoy colors

Section 38A. No person or persons shall take or attempt to take, by diving, lobsters, or edible crabs from the coastal waters, unless he displays his lobster license number upon his air tank, and for each person diving alone or for each group of divers upon the surface of said waters, in the area where the person or persons is taking or attempting to take lobsters and edible crabs, a floating marker shall be displayed with the license number of each person diving alone or in the case of any group of divers the license number of every person taking or attempting to take lobsters shall be displayed. Said number on a floating marker shall be displayed in the form of a single panel not less than twelve inches in height and width and shall be buoyed in an upright position. The marker shall have a white background with the licensee’s number, or in the case of a group the licensees’ numbers, displayed on both sides thereof by black numerals of a size prescribed by regulation of the director.

Next, the implementing regulation (note the text in red, which demonstrates the power of the magic marker lobby):

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/cmr_index.htm

3.07 Marking of Lobster Equipment Rules and Regulations adopted under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 30A and St. 1969 c. 737, which is an act providing for better identification and marking of lobster buoys, pots, traps, cars and boats.(1) All lobster Buoys, pots, traps and cars described in M.G.L c. 130 §. 38 shall be marked with the permit number assigned by the Director. Non-commercial lobstermen shall also add the letter "N" prior to the four-digit permit number, and a dash (-) with a single digit from 0 through 9 shall follow the four-digit permit number, indicating the sequential pot number in the series, up to ten pots. The permit numbers shall not be less than 1/2 inch in height nor less than 1/8 inch in thickness or width of line. Said numbers shall be burned or cut into a wooden lath or a plate made of durable synthetic material, which shall be permanently secured to the inside of the trap. For purposes of this regulation all lobster traps fished by commercial fishermen permitted in accordance with 322 CMR 7.01(2) may be marked solely with trap tags in accordance with 322 CMR 6.31 to meet marking requirements. (2) Both the air tank(s) of a diver and the floating marker described in M.G.L. c. 130, § 38A, as amended, shall be marked so as to display the permit number assigned by the Director to said diver. The permit numbers shall be not less than one inch in height nor less than one-eight inch in thickness or width of line until December 31, 1971. As of January 1, 1972 the size of said numbers shall be not less than three inches in height nor less than 1/2 inch in thickness or width of line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom