Dive Flag with Float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same with the Omer, or any other torpedo float company but you can modify it to comply with state law. I have found when you add the compliant flag you need to weight the bottom of the float to balance it.
I should clarify that the MAKO hard float and the high pressure inflatable float have a Florida legal flag and the necessary keel weight. This includes the state mandated flag stiffener.

Great post. Thanks.
Is it safe to use a spool and line (from a dsmb) with the floats or is it better to use that harsh yellow rope?
Or does it not matter? :)

I think many people will recommend that a reel is preferable to a spool for towing a float, A reel allows the diver to more easily adjust the length of the line to address the specific environmental conditions.

For example, if the current is strong, then it is advantageous to have a lot of line (scope) out because it helps reduce drag. If there is no current, then it is often beneficial to keep the tether line short and close to vertical so as to avoid the opportunities for getting yourself or a buddy tangled in the line.

Also, if you are drifting along a shipwreck that has towers or parts sticking up vertically, then if you have a lot of line out, you can get tangled wth structure. It is often better to shorten the line as much as is possible to reduce the chances of getting the line wrapped around portions of the wreck.

Also a reel allows the diver to shorten the tether on ascent or with varying depths. It is often nice to reel the line in on ascent so the diver can do a safety stop directly under the float and then ascend immediately adjacent to it as well.

Some divers will select rope rather than a reel and thin nylon line. If you select rope, it is probably best to buy inexpensive, yellow poly line which floats. You would want to avoid a sinking rope in most situations.

It depends a lot on current, depth and wave action as to what will work well and what might be a problem.

Great post. Thanks.
Is it safe to use a spool and line (from a dsmb) with the floats or is it better to use that harsh yellow rope?
Or does it not matter? :)

This is really the "right tool for the right job". If i am free diving or just a nice (recreational limit) drift dive I prefer a finger spool (160') I find it easy to deal with and not bulky. Now, yesterday we did a scooter lobster dive, the team started in 120' and finishing on top of the second reef. For that i use a 400' cave reel (Light monkey), plenty of scope and easy to adjust while still on the trigger. I've used that same reel for 260' wreck dives too. takes seconds to swap between the two. Towing the Omer float.

Never used the heavy poly line. just the cave line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom